Un Scandal: 2003 IAPSO and Watchtower

by chasson 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• chasson
    chasson

I don't know if it has been mentionned here.

Concerning this: http://www.iapso.org/pdf/Review2003.pdf where the Watchtower is mentionned as a costumer of the IAPSO service of the UN, I have written on a french's forum some text, i hope that Didier could sum-up and translate my thoughts.

Just an extract of http://webbuy.iapso.org/conditions/conditions.asp to try to explain the problem concerning the condition to buy something with IAPSO:

" "2.1 You are only eligible to register and become an Authorised User to use this Website and request Services provided by IAPSO for the purposes of assisting the UN System, governments receiving aid, organizations co-operating with the UN System such as donor government aid organizations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), as well as internationally recruited UN staff members and experts with tax-free import privileges."

• chasson
    chasson

Well i will try to make me more understand:

1/ This association has been taking place after 2001 and the brutal end of the UN-DPI/Watchtower association, so the Watchtower was at this time well aware of the moral implication of collaboration with one of the UN agency.
    2/ The IAPSO (Inter-Agency Procurement Services Office) was part at this time of the UNDP ( United Nations Development Program), so all ONG who had access to the facilities of IAPSO were partners of the UNDP, so it is really a clear collaboration to the UN policy and programs. (see for example: http://www.investindk.com/visCase.asp?artikelID=8212&print=true). In the case of the UN-DPI/Watchtower association, the collaboration was only by disseminate positive information about UN, in this new case, it is not only word but acts, a clear participation at one of UN programs concerning development.
    3/In the UN-DPI/Watchtower association, even if the Watchtower has lied concerning the access of the library (it was possible to have access to the library in a different manner without sustaining UN), it is difficult to see the benefit of the association with the DPI. The only possible benefit that Watchtower had, was a kind of respectability when they talked to government or in the OSCE conference (Hey, we are an NGO associated with the UN/DPI, look how respectable we are !). Here, the benefits are evident, the customers of IAPSO, in this case the Watchtower as an NGO, has perhaps buyed some procurement at a limited cost.(Vehicules, computers ?)
    4/ If they have used the IAPSO facilities to buy some procurements. They have presented a clear project of development to the IAPSO to be validate as a IAPSO customer, even more they have perhaps accept to be an actor of one of a development program of UNDP. What kind of development project the Watchtower has in third world nation ?

I have write to the IAPSO to know what project the Watchtower has in collaboration with UNDP few weeks ago. I have no answer. If some of you have the time and the abilities in english to write to them, perhaps the IAPSO team will consider the matter ?

I have tried this e-mail, which is in the frontpage of their website: [email protected], perhaps it is not here to make inquiries.

Please help !!!!

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Thank you for all of your research. Please keep us updated with what you find.

Maybe this information will help some of us who still have family in.

Sheri

• chasson
    chasson

Thanks Lo-Ru-Hamah !!

Well Hawkaw are you here ? I think you (and evidently others) have all the abilities to clarify the issue.

• chasson
    chasson

To understand what is IAPSO look at the page 34 of this document (http://www.ungm.org/Pages/Information/Documents/gbg_master.pdf). Pay attention to the fact, that the organisation of IAPSO has changed in January 2008, so IAPSO is now under the UNOPS supervision and not the UNDP supervision, but the goal and policy of IAPSO have nevertheless not changed.

• chasson
    chasson

Or here: http://www.iapso.org/about/

IAPSO, we have a vision - ‘Buying for a Better World’.

With over twenty years of experience in supporting the aid and development community globally, we understand how access to world-class procurement services can dramatically increase efficiency, quality and transparency whilst reducing costs and delivery times.

Serving the Development Community
    We understand the specific needs of the development community. Whether our customers are UN Agencies, International Finance Institution borrowers, NGOs or governments, they benefit not only from our experience but also from our principles of transparency and accountability as defined by the United Nations Development Programme.

Increased Range of Services
    Our range of procurement services continues to grow. We have always been known for negotiating long-term agreements on behalf of the UN System and its partners in development. However, we have also become increasingly active in the role of procurement agent for large-scale, complex projects.

Building Capacity
    We are committed to building capacity at field level and our ever-increasing range of training and consultancy services is aimed at increasing professionalism in all aspects of local and international procurement.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Bookmarked and bumped, this is interesting...

• chasson
    chasson

btt

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sorry to come here too late.

Other comments chasson made on the French forum:

One possibility is that the WT mis-represents its African actions as development projects in order to take advantage of UN preferential prices (notably on vehicles) or to help financing constructions, travel expenses of COs or missionaries, and so on.

A list of IAPSO "customers" could only be found for 2003. The question of involvement before and after that date remains open.

• chasson
    chasson

It could be possible that the Watchtower has only used the training courses of IAPSO concerning procurement, if it is the case, why they have not use other organisation who could provide this kind of courses ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit