Christians - What do you believe about Armageddon?

by JayBird 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JayBird
    JayBird

d.boon - "And how will they be destroyed? The best I can answer that is by the power of God, or maybe I don’t get what you mean."

By looking at many Watchtower publications you get the impression that fire balls will fall from the sky and humans will be eaten by wild animals. One popular myth that I've heard over the years is that black crows will pick at people's bodies. I was looking for specifics.

d.boon - "Do you believe that the entire human race will be divided by their destination of heaven and hell? No, there are too many assumptions in this question to answer with brevity."

I assumed that most Christians believe that when a person dies their soul either goes to heaven or hell. Wouldn't the same thing apply for people that die-- or don't die-- at Armageddon?

d.boon - "Will the universe, including planet Earth, remain intact for all eternity? Maybe : If so, WHY? Isaiah 45:18; Psalm 102:25-27"

I'm guessing that these scriptures are meant to suggest that the earth will eventually disappear:

Isaiah 45:18 (New International Version)

18 For this is what the LORD says—

he who created the heavens,

he is God;

he who fashioned and made the earth,

he founded it;

he did not create it to be empty,

but formed it to be inhabited—

he says:

"I am the LORD,

and there is no other.

Psalm 102:25-27 (New International Version)

25 In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.

26 They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they will be discarded.

27 But you remain the same, and your years will never end.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-I hope you can all streamline your beliefs and come to an agreement in time before it actually happens, 'cause right now I think some of your views are mutually exclusive, and it would be a public service on your collective part to come to a mutual agreement so that we can all unite on the 'winning side'. Thanks.

• d.boon
    d.boon

:By looking at many Watchtower publications you get the impression that fire balls will fall from the sky and humans will be eaten by wild animals. One popular myth that I've heard over the years is that black crows will pick at people's bodies. I was looking for specifics.

This is symbolic.

:I assumed that most Christians believe that when a person dies their soul either goes to heaven or hell. Wouldn't the same thing apply for people that die-- or don't die-- at Armageddon?

Where were you before you were born? If that’s what you mean by hell then yes if don’t do God’s will you will not have the goriest favor of his presence. On the other hand if you are chosen….

:I'm guessing that these scriptures are meant to suggest that the earth will eventually disappear

No I’m saying it’s not clear, so Maybe is my answer, or if you like better “I don’t know”.
    But you’re still not asking the right questions…

• d.boon
    d.boon

Gloriest NOT Goriest … different meaning

• JeffT
    JeffT

Speaking entirely for myself: we'll get all the answers some day. Until then thinking about the questions can be useful in settling your opinions on things. Even churches (well most of them) that think it might be soon don't tell you to cash in your life insurance or sell your house.

• real one
    real one

Sylvia I agree with you. I think the new heaven and the new earth will be here too.

• JayBird
    JayBird

":By looking at many Watchtower publications you get the impression that fire balls will fall from the sky and humans will be eaten by wild animals. One popular myth that I've heard over the years is that black crows will pick at people's bodies. I was looking for specifics."

d.boon - "This is symbolic."

The Watchtower Society doesn't claim to know exactly what will take place during Armageddon, but most JWs take these things literally however hypothetical they may be.

:I assumed that most Christians believe that when a person dies their soul either goes to heaven or hell. Wouldn't the same thing apply for people that die-- or don't die-- at Armageddon?

d.boon "Where were you before you were born? If that’s what you mean by hell then yes if don’t do God’s will you will not have the goriest favor of his presence. On the other hand if you are chosen…."

I didn't realize Christians had such varied interpretations of hell. I thought most believed it was a physical, fiery, torture chamber. I've been enlightened. And I now realize how clueless I am when it comes to mainstream Christian beliefs. Being in the 'org for so long, I'd gotten accustomed to uniform type of thinking. So I was expecting uniform answers when I proposed the questions about Armageddon. Now I know better.

• d.boon
    d.boon

JayBird do you have a heavenly hope?

• Robdar
    Robdar

We don't need God to destroy us when we are doing fine on our own.

• JayBird
    JayBird

JayBird do you have a heavenly hope?

No. I don't.

I don't believe I have a soul that is separate or even entwined with my body. Whenever my brain ceases to function, that will be the official end of me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit