Christians - What do you believe about Armageddon?

by JayBird 35 Replies latest jw friends

• JayBird
    JayBird

I've always wondered what mainstream Christianity's viewpoint is in regards to Armageddon. I understand there's no timetable. But that sense of urgency that exists with JWs doesn't seem to be there either. So here's a set of questions I would like to ask: Do you expect it to happen sooner rather than later? Who will be destroyed? And how will they be destroyed? Do you believe that the entire human race will be divided by their destination of heaven and hell? Will the universe, including planet Earth, remain intact for all eternity? If so, WHY? Or am I totally off the mark and asking the wrong set of questions?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I have heard lots of urgency from different Christian groups. Most notably the Jack van Impe Ministry is very much into the Armageddon is around the corner belief. My mom's sisters and many of their kids are invoved with the Assemblies of God church and they preach an End Times type of ministry, but they are not speakers of doom like the washtowel society is.

• heathen
    heathen

I've always wondered what mainstream Christianity's viewpoint is in regards to Armageddon. I understand there's no timetable. But that sense of urgency that exists with JWs doesn't seem to be there either. So here's a set of questions I would like to ask: Do you expect it to happen sooner rather than later? Who will be destroyed? And how will they be destroyed? Do you believe that the entire human race will be divided by their destination of heaven and hell? Will the universe, including planet Earth, remain intact for all eternity? If so, WHY? Or am I totally off the mark and asking the wrong set of questions? I believe armageddon to be an invisible war between the righteous and the evil spirit forces along with evil humans that follow them , I think it will happen in the time frame of the 21st century , all those destroyed will be the evil people that support the 666 beast in revelation , they will be destroyed by the great day of God almighty ,I believe the human race will either achieve salvation or be destroyed ,I believe earth will be indestructible and people will live here for eternity . There are no wrong questions only wrong answers .

• real one
    real one

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in [ a ] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, [f] but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

So from this I understand to go out and make disciples. Also to be ready because it is none of our business when the end will come. only God knows. we should not be obsessed or preocuppied with the end only be ready.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Most contemporary style churches (the ones that are now so popular with younger people) associate it with some sort of apocalyptic, holocaustic episode based in the Middle East, particularly in association with Christ's supposed return to Jerusalem. Christians are then taken up in the rapture and the earth is burned up. That's pretty much how the more modern, hip style churches view Armageddon.

• real one
    real one

yadda,

I believe i will be taken up also. I don't want to be here when the end comes. Who would want to be besides jw

• carla
    carla

A friend of mine once said he was a panmilleniest, he believed everything would pan out in the end. I agree. If one has faith they do not obsess about 'the end' they know where they are going and are confident that their Lord will take care of them. It doesn't matter 'where' is, it is to be with Christ wherever that may be. Some are so busy calculating the end (which nobody can ever know) and attempting to earn their brownie points they forget to actually live and live and love in abundance.

I never understand jw's and some ex's who still have the Big A hangover from their jw' days, or even some of the fundies who worry and take such pleasure in any bad news so they can see? the end is surely near! On one hand they supposedly look forward to the day but on the other hand it depresses them and they are a bundle of negativity that people don't care to be around.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The basic belief is that there will be a "last day" where the living and the dead will receive judgement. We do not know the day or the hour. The Kingdom has already begun on Earth, but is not yet fully revealed. Before that however comes turmoil. The deception has already begun also. This deception (which has long been at work and is at work today in greater numbers of people), where humanity believes the lie that it can prosper utterly independent of God, that it can forge its own utopia without any regard for religion and morality. And for a while, the lie is believed. But the lie has consequences. If man has not at peace with God, if he does not love the Being that made him Who is Infinite Love and Truth, how will it be possible for man to love his fellow men, who are sinners? This is what it boils down to. Once there is nothing left to restrain iniquity, the world will end of its own undoing. With no peace with God, the peace among men dissolves, and man shall destroy himself. But, God shall intervene before the utter extinction of those that seek him and of the human race itself. "But those days shall be shortened, for the sake of the elect etc."

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Most contemporary style churches (the ones that are now so popular with younger people) associate it with some sort of apocalyptic, holocaustic episode based in the Middle East, particularly in association with Christ's supposed return to Jerusalem. Christians are then taken up in the rapture and the earth is burned up. That's pretty much how the more modern, hip style churches view Armageddon.

This is the dispensationalist view, it is in the minority, is a recent invention and is wrong. BTS

• BFD
    BFD

The basic belief is that there will be a "last day" where the living and the dead will receive judgement. We do not know the day or the hour. The Kingdom has already begun on Earth, but is not yet fully revealed. Before that however comes turmoil. The deception has already begun also. This deception (which has long been at work and is at work today in greater numbers of people), where humanity believes the lie that it can prosper utterly independent of God, that it can forge its own utopia without any regard for religion and morality. And for a while, the lie is believed. But the lie has consequences. If man has not at peace with God, if he does not love the Being that made him Who is Infinite Love and Truth, how will it be possible for man to love his fellow men, who are sinners? This is what it boils down to. Once there is nothing left to restrain iniquity, the world will end of its own undoing. With no peace with God, the peace among men dissolves, and man shall destroy himself. But, God shall intervene before the utter extinction of those that seek him and of the human race itself. "But those days shall be shortened, for the sake of the elect etc."

This is an old invention and it is wrong.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit