Do Parents Have the Right to Force Religion on Their Kids?

by maxwell 22 Replies latest jw friends

• maxwell
    maxwell

At the washingtonpost.com, one of the regular blogs is called "On Balance". Often the topic is the balance between work and home life. However, today the topic title was "Do Parents Have the Right to Force Religion on Their Kids?"

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/onbalance/?hpid=news-col-blog-viewall

My Southern Baptist father and WASP mom raised us kids with exposure to many religions -- I went to Catholic, Presbyterian and Jewish services with relatives and family friends -- but they invoked little religious influence. I'm technically Presbyterian and I married someone Jewish; our kids are "half and half," which so far has worked out fine in our non-denominational urban universe.

So I guess I am naturally baffled by parents who feel it is their right to "force" children to abide by their religious choices, such as an Oregon case earlier this year that attracted national attention when the Oregon Supreme Court blocked a divorced former Southern Oregon man from circumcising his 12-year-old son against the wishes of the boy's mother.

According to the Oregonian, the court ruled that the trial judge failed to determine whether the boy wanted to have the procedure -- a voice of reason here since it's obvious to me that a 12-year-old is old enough to weigh in on decisions affecting his body. The custodial parent, James Boldt, who converted to Judaism several years ago, argued that he, as the boy's father, has wide latitude to make decisions for his son. The child's mother, Lia Boldt, says that circumcision is dangerous and that her son is afraid to say he doesn't want the procedure. The court ordered the case back to the lower court trial judge to determine the boy's wishes, with a decision expected later this year.

So I wonder: Does religious freedom apply within the nuclear family? Other than tradition passed down within male-dominated cultures where wives and children were considered chattel of men, why do modern parents believe we hold the right to force our children to practice certain religious beliefs? Why don't we expose our children to multiple religions without picking one, and them let them decide for themselves as adults -- as we do with most important decisions, such as careers, spouses and where to live?

Most Western civilizations no longer force women or children to marry against their will or follow orders from the patriarchal forces in the family. Why does religion, at times, seem to be an exception? Or is sharing your religious beliefs with your children simply part of being a loving, supportive parent?

Maybe my parents, through their lack of religious beliefs, did technically "force" their near-atheism on me as a child. How could they not? Parental rights aside, do parents invariably influence their children's religion? Where does the line between influence and coercion lie? Do you have religious beliefs different from your parents's? Has your religion ever been questioned or rejected by your parents? Do you believe one of your parental rights is to choose a religion for your children?

I thought it might be interesting to hear people's take here. If you go to the blog and read the comments, you'll see many people take issue with the word "force." Is it force when you are simply teaching your child what you believe? And like most of the commenters there, I feel that parents certainly have the right to raise their children in their own religion or beliefs as they see fit, as long as there is no abuse, and hopefully the kid will have the ability to think critically and make up their own mind when they are an adult. Pushing too hard usually backfires anyway. So what are your thoughts?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    as long as there is no abuse

First you need to define religion.

Then you need to define abuse.

Then you need to define force and right.

I personally think that every single religion out there should be forced to pay taxes on property and all donations. In this way, religion and/or cults that seem to have no accountability for the lives of their members, could pay for any mental health issues that arise from said religion or cult. It would also offset the issue of poverty that exists in many religions/cults that promote doomsday and end of world prophecies whereby they brainwash their members into not getting an education and instead doing missionary work and/or abstaining from any worldly goals such as saving money, pensions etc. sammieswife.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I heard on the news this moring that some parents are being sued for the death of their child because their

religion did not believe in medical treatment. She died from lack of treatment for her diabetes.......because of

the religion of her parents!!! This is just wrong. There is a fine line here and it definitely needs to be defined.

I think the blood transfusion issue fits in here, too. A parent that teaches this is okay...to watch a child die

because some doctrine says it's wrong to treat them...is mentally ill, imo.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    A parent that teaches this is okay...to watch a child die

because some doctrine says it's wrong to treat them...is mentally ill, imo

I'm really not as quick to say the parent is mentally ill. If a religion/cult indoctrinates a person to the extent that they will follow an order from their leader, then I believe that the head of that organization is responsible in large part. A child being indoctrinated to believe that dying is the right thing to do as opposed to (ex) getting a needle, isn't mentally ill, they are brainwashed. I heard of that case and the parents are apparently going to be charged with manslaughter or criminal negligence - something on that order. That is the problem with every Tom, Dick and Harry calling his cult a religion. They can hide behind the word for both legal and social reasons and nobody wants to go at them because it might step on the rights of the person taking part in the religion, as well as interferring with the rights of the parent in raising the child. So again, what defines abuse and what defines a religion? How accountable are we going to hold a religion for the actions of the members, especially as the rules apply to a child. If a JW child runs away because of disfellowshipping, or if they committ suicide as a direct result of manipulation of the society, and if that child is under 16, are the parents responsible? I don't see a lot of real difference. This child died as a result of a religion - if a JW child dies as a result of a religion - it's still a life gone. sammieswife.

• Terry
    Terry

A "right" is a sanction which comes from the imperative of necessity. You really can't be granted a right (although, of course, society takes upon itself to legislate).

What a human being necessarily needs in order to live and function cannot be denied. Humans need food, shelter, clothing (certainly) but, equally important, is a rational mind which enables them to maintain and upgrade their day to day living with a view to self-betterment.

Parents, for all practical purposes, own their children. They give a child life, nourishment and training by devoting time, energy, money and affection. But--philosophically, parents cannot OWN the individuality of the child's personality. The best/worst they can do is shape it.

By a large measure, the shaping influence of religion lingers long in a person's life as the very first WORLD VIEW.

But, as maturity approaches, mitigating information from outside sources can moderate or assail that WORLD VIEW.

Competing influences TEST the parent's indoctrinations and the child individuates into a personality singular and autonomous.

There is never a guarantee anybody's child will become EXACTLY what the parent desires because all humans have the innate capacity to INDIVIDUATE.

There is no way to stop a parent from indoctrinating children. None. If the state removes a child, the state becomes the de facto parent and you only have (for all practical purposes) a parental surrogate doing exactly the same thing.

Addressing the topic squarely, then, we can say two things.

No matter what the parents teach, imbue, indoctrinate and condition a child to think and believe, sooner or later the rational aspect of that child's individuality will assert itself into action.

Good teaching (i.e. practical) won't need to be discarded or re-evaluted and changed. Questionable views will prove, in the long run, to be impractical and useless.

Without a series of sound teachers, instructors and a trustworthy data base, human beings are forced to become superstitious and fall back on myth, folklore, superstition, urban legend, prejudice and fear. This is usually embodied in the local religion.

Survival requires a vigilant mind capable of making optimum choices for self-betterment. Children who grow up with only superstition and religion must perforce conform to a group mentality to get by. The group will stifle individuality and the spirit of the personhood will extinguish leaving behind an automaton.

The most powerful force operating in society today is HERESY!

It is the assertion of individuality in the face of indoctrination which contains misinformation.

Parents call it rebelliousness. The reality of it is simply that the paren't teaching contains data which is false and unworkable for the child.

• yknot
    yknot

The Oregon court will ultimately decide based on a psychological evaluation & testimony of the boy.

His mother as the non-custodial parent handled the situation properly by using the courts.

I support the First Amendment.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

You have to be careful with this because parents "force" their children to do alot of things. Religion is easier to attack because it is a larger target. Should a parent be able to force his children to clean their room? What if the child just doesn't want to? Is the dirty room harming society? It sounds trivial but with the parent/child relationship you step on human rights. Does living in the parent's home automatically make them obedient out of necessity? Can the parent force the child to eat brussel sprouts? Wear generic brand tennis shoes?

If you can't make your heathen 9-year-old daughter go to church on Sunday because she doesn't want to, can you force her to dress a certain way? Can you forbid her to wear makeup at 11? Can you force her to eat food products that contain preservatives and high fructose corn syrup? What if it is against her personal world view?

Religion is easy to attack because so many of us have been negatively impacted by it, mentally and emotionally. Our view is especially jaded, probably more than most. But the fact is that anything that parents force their children to do is part of the parents' belief system as a whole which includes more than just the religion. If the child has a different belief system, can we force it on them?

I have this issue every day but not on a religious level necessarily. My kids will say: "So-and-so's parents let them do this, decide that," and so on. My response is usually: "Well, go live with so-and-so."

er

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Religion is easy to attack because so many of us have been negatively impacted by it, mentally and emotionally. Our view is especially jaded, probably more than most. But the fact is that anything that parents force their children to do is part of the parents' belief system as a whole which includes more than just the religion. If the child has a different belief system, can we force it on them?

Exactly - many crossovers. If a girl of 14 gets pregnant can her parents force her to abort the child or is the outcome her decision? Does the State step in and remove the child because they blame the parent or wish to go against the parents non religious beliefs? The religion that uses snakes as part of their service - a child or an adult dies as a direct result of the religion - who is accountable? The religion or the parent and in the event there is no parent and the child wandered in to attend those services on their own, then who remains accountable? There are a lot of veins to such an open ended question - the baseline being - what constitutes abuse or neglect vs religious rights. sammieswife.

• maxwell
    maxwell

A couple of more of my comments.

I mostly ignored the stuff about the case in Oregon. It seemed a stretch to try to relate a dispute between to separated parents to "forcing" religion on a child.

Sammielee, I agree the definitions "force" and "abuse" are important. I don't really have a good definition for abuse, but in the US, I'd just take what US law defines as abuse to be abuse. As far as "force" is concerned, I'd also take issue with that word. If I want to give a "force" a negative connotation, I can just say it isn't force unless the parent is doing something that is legally defined as abuse.

Otherwise, I basically agree with what other's have posted here. A parent may teach their child whatever values and beliefs they hold to be true and religion may be a part of those values and beliefs or the primary vehicle for those beliefs. As long as the teaching or practicing of those beliefs are not unlawful or an unacceptable impediment to someone else's freedom.

Terry, said in part:

No matter what the parents teach, imbue, indoctrinate and condition a child to think and believe, sooner or later the rational aspect of that child's individuality will assert itself into action.

That's one thing I think about. A person may assert his individuality, but to what degree. I think some parents do such a good job with their indoctrination that the child never really seriously think about what they believe even as an adult, and I wonder if the brain has been shaped in such a way that it is impossible for them to step outside of their first world view. Even so, I still agree that it's mostly a parent's prerogative as to what beliefs and values they teach their children and how they teach them.

It seems pretty hard to have exclusive control over a child's world view these days. For example, I think many of the racist beliefs of recent past generations simply didn't stick with their children. Media, culture, actual experience simply didn't allow those some of those beliefs to continue no matter what parents were saying.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I believe that they do. To a very definite point at least. As a parent, it is my responsibity to add my belief system, values, and views to my children's bag of options. When the kids were young I went to meetings and they went with me. My 26 yr old daughter has been calling the wt a cult for about three years. Our middle boy is up to his neck in it and my baby sone who is 16 now is fed up with the bs. Amazingly he picked up on the bs and other crap on his own. I refuse to force him to attend, but still read my reina Valera bible with him and try to teach him to follow Christ even if I am not doing so well. In the end they make up their own minds and what I want my kids to remember is that I always love them, no matter what....and that I told them to think for themselves, evaluate everything and make educated decisions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit