Your JW Baptism

by LouBelle 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• lilybird
    lilybird

I was baptised when I was 17, 1974 at the newly built assembly hall in Mississauga, Ontario. I really don't remember much about it, I can't remember how many were baptised or how old they were. I remember sitting at the front of the hall where soon to be baptised ones sat for the "special" talk and we announced publicly that we were ready to be baptised before walking up the aisles to change for the baptism. I remember seeing my mom and other friends beaming with pride at me. I felt happy and proud that I was doing something really life changing.Funny as others have said, I felt a little disappointed and let down that I didn't feel anything different and the world still felt the same. OH well...10 years later my husband and I left the WTsociety together and have never regretted that decision.

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

I was 11. My Mom didn't want me to get baptized. She didn't think I was ready because I had (according to her)a bad attitude. I was being molested by my father at the time so of course I was a little strange! I wanted to get baptized because I thought that Jehovah would protect me if I devoted my life to Him. Funny how that plan didn't work out at all! A year later my dad was baptized and I lost faith in Jehovah.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Veteran's Stadium at Philadelphia in '92. Oh I was feeling the full effects of the kool-aid that year. :(

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I was baptized April 2, 1994. I was 17, almost 18. Two of my friends were baptized at the same time. None of us are JWs today. I have very little memory of the occasion. In fact, when I read this thread, I had to look up the date, because I didn't remember. The only thing I remember was that I wished I were someplace else. I was told over and over again that the day I was baptized was one of the most important days of my life. In retrospect, the last time I went to the dentist holds more significance for me than the day I was baptized. If I could go back as 33 year old me and talk to 17 year old me, I would have told 17 year old me to skip the assembly that day and find some girl and lose my virginity instead of going to the assembly and lose my free will. Oh well. I'm glad it's all over.

• BFD
    BFD

I got baptised at Bethel in Brooklyn in 1974. I was 14 and was afraid that I might not make it through Armageddon the following year unless I got wet.

BFD

• White Dove
    White Dove

After getting dunked, I finally felt like I belonged. It was very important to me to feel like I belonged to something important. I was 17. The org was all I had. Now, I'm learning to trust myself without outside interference.

• Moxie
    Moxie

I was 17 when I was baptized, and I'd rather not think about it. I was 18 when I was disfellowshipped for becoming inactive and not meeting with the elders. They phoned me and left a message on my machine saying that if I wasn't going to meet with them they would have no choice to announce my df'ing to the congregation. Lovely.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I started in 2002, was baptized in 2004, and out by 2008!! My baptism was denied 3 times starting from 2002!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit