The Butchering of the English Language.

by Low-Key Lysmith 68 Replies latest social current

• greendawn
    greendawn

English grammar is easy enough as it is, there is no need to do away with or mix up the few endings that verbs and nouns have like saying: me thinks so.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Yeah….. and while we are on the subject, why do you American’s leave letters out of some of your words, like "colour" for example.

If English is getting more slovenly then you have to take a good look at yourself first…..

Pull your socks up…..

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks Leolaia. That was interesting.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Yeah….. and while we are on the subject, why do you American’s leave letters out of some of your words, like "colour" for example.

Mr. Majestic, we don't have the same spellings as the King's English, or queen. We don't spell colour with a U and we use z instead of s for words like realize.

• compound complex
    compound complex
    Compound Complex: "Publishers, writers, educators, and others have over the years developed a consensus of what standard English consists of."

Et tu, CoCo? I hate when that happens! I should of been of that more aware. To err is human, to forgive bovine ... MOOOOOOO! CoCo Fallen Goofreader

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

It's espresso, not expresso! And, the 'T' is silent in 'often'.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I also blame the education system.

What????? I work in a school. You don't think we teach this stuff, do you? We work hard to combat improper English, but how do we possibly have control over the way students speak at home?

Something that really gets to me is---your---as in "Your not speaking correctly." The correct usage would be you are, or you're, a contraction. Your denotes posession, as in "That is your opinion."

• compound complex
    compound complex

I remember a line in Dominick Dunne's "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles."

(and I paraphrase ...)

Socialites are talking about a social climber:

"He'll never marry her you know."

"What makes you so sure?"

"She pronounces the 't' in often."

The above is from Bob, at Sticky Crows Quick Question. Interestingly, I've just finished reading TTMG and recall that very catty comment.

CoCo

• beksbks
    beksbks

"Cut the lights out before you go to bed".

• parakeet
    parakeet

Like all living languages, English is constantly changing to accommodate constant changes in our society.

Although I cringe at some of the emerging trends, I try to remember this -- any educated English speaker from 200 years ago would think even our "standard English" today a horrifying mess.

My motto: WWJAD? -- what would Jane Austen do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit