The Butchering of the English Language.

by Low-Key Lysmith 68 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOLZ @ Leolaia

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Publishers, writers, educators, and others have over the years developed a consensus of what standard English consists of.

"That is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

- Winston Churchill.

• llbh
    llbh

Why not language evolve it always has , that is what makes it fun and leaves room for humour.

The more important thing is to communicate clearly to each other and that is an oft missed art form

David

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Don't you love this one: "let me ax you a querstion."

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19991216

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Go check out chinglish on Wikipedia.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

y u h8? :(

It irks me sometimes, but english has constantly evolved over the centuries. I see no reason for it to stop.

• 5go
    5go

Most of the time the people that complain about improper grammar are trying to shoot holes in an otherwise sound argument.

Which can funny when the accuser forgets some of the basic rules of proper English.

We see.

We see, what? I see a computer screen. A sentence has a subject, verb, and an object. What was your object?

Unless your speaking Japanese. Which goes subject, object, and then verb.

• SacrificialLoon
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Most of the time the people that complain about improper grammar are trying to shoot holes in an otherwise sound argument.

Errr. It can be hard to pick out an argument in some of your posts 5go. Grammar and spelling would help a lot in your case. For example you say "should of" a lot, when it is "should have" which gets contracted into "should've".

I mean that nicely.

*ducks*

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ah well, languages do change as the years go by: just expect change to continue. Do you recall when gay meant happy? It is said that if you go into the deepest hollows of Appalachia (hollers or valleys, the extra r comes from British english, they put an extra r at the end of words like Jehovah and the name Melissa) , you will find a more pure form of English than Brits speak today. This is because of the isolation of the people who inhabit those areas of the Appalachia. Indeed, I have met people in North Georgia with British accents. When I asked them from where they hailed, they would proceed to tell me of some little village in the nearby mountains.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit