Old JW memories.

by nicolaou 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Did anyone else go camping for those big ol' assemblies? Not sure if it was the International Conventions or one of the regular 6 day marathons but one time we pitched up our tents along with dozens of others in some kind of cult tent village.

It should've been fun for us kids but I just remember the cold, the damp clothes and the mud. Plus we were stuck with Elder Boring (yes Chris Higgs I mean you) and his boring family.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I remember going to LOTS of BORING meetings...

I remember gettting up EARLY on Saturday mornings to go "preach"...

I remember Dad being stressed every year about loading up for the convention, driving there, etc....

I remember getting beat by my grandma at the bookstudy as a little guy, because my cousin and I couldn't sit still and be quiet...

I remember going to VERY FEW get togethers, like one every 2 or 3 years, and talking to people I loathed...

I remember feeling alienated at school...

I remember NOT playing sports...

I remember walking around the District Convention, hoping to find a hottie, that wasn't a "super Dub"...

I remember having 3 girlfriends at one District Convention when I was 15...

I remember the look of shock on people's faces when I was married at 18...

I remember my dad begging me not to marry, because my ex was a ZERO...

I remember as a young child, walking around the grounds of the District Convention with my UN-believing grandpa, and him showing me the horses, and cattle at the fairgrounds across the way from the District Convention in Lincoln, NE.

I remember spending money I DIDN'T HAVE to go to District Conventions, and Circuit Assemblies...

I remember my judicial hearings and explaining my sex life to a group of old men...

I remember elders, family and people in the hall not to talk to my DF'd mother, because we would both be "destroyed"...

I remember hearing about how I'd never get out of elementary school, never graduate, never marry...

I remember having to "shun" friends...

I remember my first time of being shunned...

I remember LOTS, and LOTS of new light and LOTS, and LOTS, and BULLSHIT... Those are my memories

BTW, did I mention that I don't miss being a Dub for one second???

• south african beef
    south african beef

I don't think we ever went camping for an assembly but I do remember staying at a hotel near Heathrow for the Twickenham Assembly. I forget the name of the hotel but it was circular in design. My brother and I had a room to ourselves with my mum and dad in a seperate room. We were told to go to sleep early so we would be alert(!) for the spiritual food on offer the next day. However I watched telly all night.

I got baptised at Twickers in the 'dusty' days, way before the stadium was developed into a world beater. I remember having to volunteer with the family when I was very young - we had to go into a massive marquee where we were preparing food. My dad sliced a melon with a massive knife and managed to slice his finger instead - that was great news as we then didn't have to volunteer for the rest of the day!

I also remember when Bowes Road was to be sold, to allow for the widening of the North Circular road - which still hasn't taken place! Once I was an attendant and I was stationed at the back door which was fine by me because there was no speaker so I didn't have to listen to the drivel. I was told that under no circumstances was I to let anyone in that door unless they showed my ID. A sister opened the door and barged in - I politely asked who she was and could she show me her ID/badge. She said that she was the wife of the D.O and that she lived there and didn't need to show anyone any ID! That for me was a real turning point, I realised how up themselves some of them were.

I ofter went to the park at lunch time, sometimes to get away from the stuffy assembly and sometimes to get away from the wife! (we're divorced now!)

None of the memories are fond memories and I'm glad that part of my life is totally behind me but it's nice to look back!

SAB

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Twickenham weekend again and that weather forecast is looking pretty bad - heavy rain and wind.

If those with tickets to the Silverstone F1 Grand Prix are being advised not to go as the car parks will leave many stuck in the mud despite ££££££ being spent on drainage this week I wonder how bad the Twickenham car parks will be?

So many years on cold seats designed for 1 1/2 hours of rugby instead of 16 hours of mind numbing boredom with toilet queues that would make your eyes water.

Much easier getting the new publications from JWN weeks in advance and staying at home instead.

mmxiv

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,this was posted 4 years ago,but my family camped for the conventions. My mother was expected to cook hot meals too,over the camp fire for the whole congregation.

I wasn't born yet,thank goodness. But,I heard of all the crazy experiences they had. I can't imagine camping out in the summer,and having to get up early to get dressed up. Plus get five little boys ready ,plus a husband who really wasn't good at organizing anything,lol.

Well,they look back with fond memories too. But,I think my mother blocked the rest out. But,she said she never realized that kids under 18 could stay in hotels for free. They thought they were saving money.

• finally awake
    finally awake

If camping had been necessary, I'd have never went to a second convention. The thought of trying to get everyone ready in such tight quarters makes me shudder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit