Old JW memories.

by nicolaou 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Hope:

Did any of those "just in case" scenarios ever happen……??

There would have been a time when I would have coveted your ministry bag. There goes one of the ten commandments. Oops…..

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

We used to have assemblies in high school gyms and those folding benches just killed your butt and no back rests. Guys used to try to look up your dresses. I remember how hot it was at the Pasadena assembly and fainting from heat stroke.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I only remember 2 CBS vividly. 1) we arrived and I (a young teen) walked up the front steps. Just as I got to the top step I tripped and fell face down across the porch. Sooo embarrassing. 2) I was about 18 and the study was at my aunt's house where I was living at the time. There were about 10 people present. No one raised their hand to answer a question the whole study except me. I was rather shy and waited several seconds for someone to raise their hand to comment. Nothing. Turned out the whole study the conductor asked the question and I read the answer out of the book. How weird was that meeting!

At the 1958 Convention at Yankee Stadium / Polo Grounds my father took me and my brother (10 & 8 yo) to one of the museums during a break in the sessions. We rode the subway which went under the Hudson River. The subway broke down while we were under the river and we were stuck there for an hour or two. Fortunately my mom stayed at the room with my sister (6 wks old). (Yep - I don't remember anything about the convention - only the subway - and a magnified drop of water in the museum showing all the 'critters' in our drinking water.)

• Carmel
    Carmel

My fondest memories of being a Jdub youth was the assembly in Astoria, Oregon. I and two other younguns were given trays of icecream sandwitches to sell. Each time we returned the emty trys and turned in the money, I shorted the older youth a dollar. He never caught on as he lumped the money in an envelop and turned it over to someone else. By the time the assembly was over I'd short changed them $13 which I took home with me and bought a catcher's mitt. Sinner that I am I did ten hail Mary's.....oh, wrong religion... never had any guilt pangs as hair was till not growing on my palms so I was pretty sure Jehovah was ignoring my transgressions....Funny, now I live in Astoria and suffer no remorse yet!!! carmel

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

For Mr Majestic, Eyes Open and all the other Bowes Road buddies;

Bowes Rd Assemble Hall in the 80's

There are a couple more pics and Bowes Road stories at; http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/145416/1.ashx

I swear the lighting and soporific atmosphere used to send me into a trancelike funk!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

To be honest not all of my memories are bad.

We had a pretty lively bookstudy group, though I honestly did most of the answering - I took my studying of the bible very seriously. After each book study we used to have tea and snacks (somebody was always bring yummy things) Then if it was just a couple of us the bookstudy conductor would finish up early and they would do my hair in their salon.

The assemblys and conventions WERE hard for my mom and aunt. Two sisters with unbelieving mates carting their troop of kiddies, old granny, umbrellas, chairs, food, literature around and no one helped them ever. They were exhausting. We had an open air stadium - used to go all the way to the top so we could gaze out to the ocean.

Pioneer during school holidays - a group of us kids would get together for street work for about 2 hours, do breakfast and then head out again, stop for tea and buns.

Unassigned territory was sometimes a blast though people had hang-ups about who they wanted to work with - but the last time I went - it was just a whole lot of young people - we had a lot of mischievious fun.

I guess it depends - there were ups and downs - I didn't know what I know now - so ignorance was bliss.

Looking back.........well nothing I can do about now.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

My memories of a dub are mixed. Like riding to ElPaso, TX in a caravan with the PO who drove ahead of us in his Rambler Wagon belching smoke and stopping litererally every twenty minutes to add another two quarts of oil to his crank case. and yet another of running around the assembly site and cussing down the gateway to hear the echos! EFF YOU U U U U LOL!!

• megawatt
    megawatt

Wow- I remember attending the assemblies in Hialiegh(sp?) park at the horse race track in miaimi, fl. It was hot, muggy and occasionally, some sections were covered in bird shit when we came back from lunch. I would enjoy the scenery though, with the flamigos passing by behind the stage during the the talks and sneaky off to walk around to check out the stables and enjoy park.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Oh the memories;C/A first I can remember was the Town Hall in Wimbledon which was a lovely grand old building, the they bought the old cinema in Dorking where it stayed for many years , it was great there and it included a donut kiosk and an ice cream one as well, and as it was in the town center there was a KFC across the road usually frequented by the colored Dubs who weren't too keen on the assembly food, (my old man and alot in our hall ran the catering there) also there was a great Leisure center across the road and a couple of times he took us swimming, they sold it (why I will never know) and bought the old Youth Custody center in Hays Bridge and turned that into a state of the art facility, (got baptized there) but was never as good Dorking and it was miles from anywhere, so you were imprisoned there for the whole day

My memory of Twickers goes back to a young kid when they had those evening sessions and 8 day international events as well , the old stadia was still stuck in a pre war time warp until it was re vamped in the 80's and is now a superb state of the art stadia, but the old days of walking from the car parks to the place you would get the stench of the stewed horrible coffee , but the Bacon baps were great, and the food production was epic until the simplified food arrangements came in ........

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I guess it depends - there were ups and downs - I didn't know what I know now - so ignorance was bliss.

Very true LouBelle, and not all of us were living 'double lives' either. I was far from perfect but I genuinely did believe I had 'the Truth' and I tried to live by all the rules.

I was a bit innocent, bordering on thick. I remember one time when I was about 15 a bunch of us young dubs were staying over at my friends house. His older sister had a friend just a couple of years older than us - Tiffany. She was a sister from a cong' far, far away and she was hot!

So I'm in my sleeping bag and in comes Tiffany . . . I'd have to be drunk out of my head to tell you how I reacted to this spiritual 'babe' coming on to me in her nightie. Oh man was I dumb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit