Austrian man admits holding daughter captive

by Lady Lee 22 Replies latest social current

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have been seeing reports on this over the day so thought I would bring it here.

Austrian man admits holding daughter captive

An elderly Austrian man has confessed to holding his daughter captive in a basement cell for 24 years and fathering seven children with her, police said Monday.

The 73-year-old man allegedly held his daughter Elisabeth, now 42, and three of their children in a soundproof chamber below an apartment block in Amstetten, a town near the Austrian Alps.

Police say he raised three of the children with his wife, who knew nothing of the secret cellar chamber.

The man told police he burned the body of the seventh child, who allegedly died of neglect shortly after birth, in an incinerator.

Elisabeth was originally reported missing in 1984 when she was 18 years old. She was located by Amstetten police on Saturday evening after they received a tip. She is now in psychiatric care with her children, two of whom are said to be in poor health.

"They are in a life-threatening condition," the head of the clinic where they are being treated told reporters. "All of them are being given intensive medical treatment. I can give no prognosis. Only God knows that."

On Monday, police released photos of the underground cell which included a small bathroom and a tiny bedroom. The cell was made of reinforced concrete; Elisabeth was prevented from leaving by an electronic keyless locking system.

The suspect, known as Josef F., was being held in a pretrial detention centre. He faces up to 15 years in prison, if charged and convicted of rape, the most serious of the allegations under Austrian law.

Hans-Heinz Lenze, a senior local official, said the suspect's wife apparently had "no idea'' of what went on and was devastated.

"You have to imagine that this woman's world fell apart,'' he told the Associated Press.

Austrian broadcaster Steven Crilley said neighbours in the sleepy, working-class town were reeling, as many had interacted with members of the family.

"The ones above ground led apparently very normal lives," he told CTV Newsnet on Monday. "People knew the family. They weren't so social but that wasn't a big problem."

Austrians are reeling from the shock of the tragic story, particularly since a similar one surfaced just two years ago when a young woman was found to have been held in a basement cell for eight years after being kidnapped.

Natascha Kampusch, who was 10 years old when she was kidnapped in Vienna in 1998, issued a statement Monday offering emotional and financial help to Elisabeth and her family.

With files from the Associated Press

I have a real problem with the idea that the wife had no idea her husband was keepin ghis daughter downstairs.

Who bought the clothes? Who bought the food? Diapers? What about paying for the extra heat required down in the cell where they lived?

There was a toilet, a tub, a sink. I can hear when my neighbors flush the toilet or fill the tub with water. Couldn't she hear these things? How could she NOT know? Or was the vault so sound proof that running water could not be heard?

She had to know when he went down there or disappeared for a while/ Wouldn't you be curious what he was doing down there?

Where did she think he got those 3 babies from that he got her to raise? A note that they were from her daughter who didn't want them?

enough of my rant about her

Him? don't get me started

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sick, sick, sick, sick.

That is horrible. The death penalty is too good for that son of a bitch. He should be forced to spend his remaining time in a cellar like that one.

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

Look here:

Inside the cellar chamber:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,31004,00.html

And take a look at that monster:

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,30995,00.html

I know that town Amstetten. Its only 30 miles far from my home.

fly

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The images are the same they were showing on TV.

I agree this is sick sick sick

The more I hear the more questions I have

She gave birth to 7 children ALONE. I doubt their diet was healthy. And they had no means to exercise in such a small room.

It's no wonder the daughter and her 3 children that lived on the cell with her are so sick they are in in a life-threatening condition.

The 4 of them will need major psychological help - if they survive

• JK666
    JK666

What is it with Austrian men keeping women in a pit? This is the second case to make the headlines in two years. Very weird and sick, my best wishes to the poor children/grandchildren.

JK

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

Sigmund Freud was Austrian.

He had an excellent sphere for his studies;-)

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Sigmund Freud was Austrian.

explains why i don't like old Sigmund..........I have always favored Carl Jung, who is Swiss.

• Nowman
    Nowman

You know, the children who lived in the sound proof cellar would have health problems for sure becaue of living that way, but I do wonder if a big part of why the children are sick is because its incest!!! I knew a girl whose mom was one of 8 kids that were born from two 1st cousins in Polland. 5 of them were handicapped (rare handicaps), and the other three were lucky to be normal. 2 of them are still alive in Polland (both handicap) and the others that were normal are OK.

I wonder, and not thats its the most important issue, because this story is so very sick, but incest from father to daughter, and the daughter actually have 7 children by him!

Nikki

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I have a real problem with the idea that the wife had no idea her husband was keepin ghis daughter downstairs.

Who bought the clothes? Who bought the food? Diapers? What about paying for the extra heat required down in the cell where they lived?

There was a toilet, a tub, a sink. I can hear when my neighbors flush the toilet or fill the tub with water. Couldn't she hear these things? How could she NOT know? Or was the vault so sound proof that running water could not be heard?

She had to know when he went down there or disappeared for a while/ Wouldn't you be curious what he was doing down there?

Where did she think he got those 3 babies from that he got her to raise? A note that they were from her daughter who didn't want them?

enough of my rant about her

Him? don't get me started

I've read most of the info on this and until all the facts are in, I'm not going to blame the mother.

My understanding and I saw the picture of the house - it is really an apartment complex and it's pretty big. The family occupied a part of it and the other units were rented out to other family members. If the mother is at fault for not knowing about the hidden room, then everyone inside the apartment building must also be since they all lived there as well. We have no idea what the relationship was about as far as finances between the two so any bills or charges might have gone unnoticed. As for the kids - it was explained that when the daughter disappeared, she left a note explaining she was joining a cult..except that it was her father who had drugged and shackled her and made her disappear. Then the kids showed up with a note from said cult daughter saying she couldn't care for them properly.

I need to know more about what went on inside that entire complex. It's a sick case and to be sure the father is the perpetrator but there is obviously a lot we haven't been told about yet. My highest hope is that he did not molest any of the grandchildren - at least spare them that additional baggage on top of everything else. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

She was a beautiful girl. This is a photo of her taken before she disappeared. Apparently, news is now saying that it was her 2 oldest kids - an 18 yr old and 19 yr old that remained inside with her, as well as the youngest 5 year old. The ones in between are the ones that lived upstairs. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit