Older generation JW's are being sacrificed by the Society? Why?

by nicolaou 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Nicolau,

I don't know if you realize this but elderly JWs are the ones who contribute money to the religion and are most likely to leave their assets to the religion. And not all of them are poor pensioners either. In the U.S. many elderly people have the most disposable income.

This is not the case for people in mid-life or younger who are raising families and are struggling to get by. In my opinion, these people are the LEAST likely to put money in those boxes. Not only that, these people got burned most of all by the religion's anti-college and career stance. People like this are likely to be angry and resentful and angry and resentful people aren't contributing money. I know I wouldn't. So, if you are right they are making a big mistake.

But, as far as their 'new light' is concerned, they prefer younger people because they don't remember all the past prophecies and the presumptuous talk that went on. So, older people would threaten them more.

LHG

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think the 15-minute rule was a bone thrown at them...the Borg must make more NuLight to keep the kids inside, but they'll take the oldtimers' money.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    But, as far as their 'new light' is concerned, they prefer younger people because they don't remember all the past prophecies and the presumptuous talk that went on. So, older people would threaten them more.

Most of the older should remember but they don't. As a poster once said, "The rank and file are infected by a disease called collective amnesia."

Bonnie

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The oldtimers are a liability because they know the secrets of the organization. Many can do the calculation for 1914. Some have even gone through the caluclation for 1975.

Preaching the old-time gospel of the watchtower is nothing but embarassing to one and all. In addition, they cant let the newtimers in on the watchtower's secret.

• carla
    carla

"As long as whatever you're doing is over in less than 15 minutes, it doesn't count as fornication!" --- and you guys are just telling me this now?! hmmphf! I thought you were my friends! I suppose that is only for baptized publishers in good standing though huh?

(I think I'm getting alzheimers about the borg lately, tired of remembering all the little things.)

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

So basically you are suggesting that almost all of the changes are really because of ADD?

I can see that!

er

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

TheCongregationBookStudy

The Congregation Book Study fills a vital need in our spiritual progress. We should all hold it in high esteem. If some regularly miss this meeting, could it be that they regard it as less important than the other meetings? All can benefit from taking a fresh look at the Congregation Book Study arrangement.

Our Kingdom Ministry, March 1986, page 3

Looks like they took their own advice.

• lilybird
    lilybird

I agree that these changes are to keep the younger generation from straying. They aren't worried about the older generation as they are so used to blindly believing everything as "new light" anyways. Most would be too scared to question or doubt. I know my motherinlaw who is now in her mid-70's accepts any new changes without question and in her will she is leaving them a substantial amount of money before any family gets a cent. Also her elderly sister-in-law,who pioneered for years, never married but is quite wealthy is leaving all her wealth to the society.

• flipper
    flipper

Good thread ! I agree with some here that the older ones do have too much of a connection to the past failings of the Watchtower society. They have too much knowledge about the failings to pass down to newer , younger witnesses and may be deemed as a threat ! So - they will continue shoving elderly publishers into the corner of the kingdom halls till they fade or die in obscurity - it's sad, but I'm afraid very true

• steve2
    steve2
    I think NewWatchtower are quite prepared to sacrifice the older generation of JW's,

This is a miserably old pattern, first perfected by Russell, turned into an art form by Rutherford and polished into a godly sheen by every Watchtower president since then. Ditch the old timers. My grandfather who started many congregations of JWs in the 1930s and 40s went to his grave in the late 1970s disillusioned with the Society - especially the way it spits out the hard workers when, because of old age and/or infirmity, they can no longer work as hard as they once did.

Sadly, it's the same old same old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit