Free Will?

by ex-nj-jw 23 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

For some reason, the 'free will' concept was one of the few things I did understand. Why?

Maybe because I was converted. I never felt God was keeping me there, I always understood it was men and my own stupidity.

However, when I finally left, I came a place where God's will began to bother me. Besides the fact that it is somewhat confusing, it seemed just wrong.

I'm still working that one out.

wings

• White Dove
    White Dove

Real One,

If you don't use your free will gift actively then isn't it like burying the coin instead of investing it? Wouldn't you be a lazy, good for nothing slave and be thrown out to nash your teeth while those of us who actively use it are rewarded accordingly?

That's just a cop out for not taking responsibility for the results of your own actions. If you screw up you can blame the devil. If you win, you thank god. You will have learned nothing.

I don't know how to spell everything, sorry.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    It might very well be that our mind is a quantum computer, that can affect the material universe (the brain) by focused attention and will.

That is, we can restructure ourselves and our environment by our act of will. I find this thought gratifying. It at least rises us above our genetic imprint. We can choose how our life plays out.

This is very interesting. Itried looking for some info on this. The only thing I seem to find is a book by Seth Lloyd. Are these ideas from his book? Thanks.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Free will is an incredibly complex philosophical question. Some various positions are discussed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

The Watchtower view is quite simplistic and nonsensical - "Jehovah is loving enough to let us do whatever we want, but he will kill you if what you want is not what he wants." I picture the Watchtower definintion as living imprisoned on plateau, suspended hundreds of feet in the air. You may be told you have free will to go where ever you want. You may be allowed to go anywhere, but it is hardly free will, because stepping off the plateau sends you plummeting to your death.

The problem with Watchtower logic is that most of how we behave and what we believe is dictated by our environment and genes. Also, people change over time through circumstances beyond their control, such as through brain injuries. To say humans will be eternally judged on the basis of how they used their imperfect free will is archaic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit