If the Bible was written more clearly, would there be a need to preach?

by easyreader1970 27 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Part of the reason there are so many divisions and opinions and versions of the Bible is because, quite honestly, alot of it just doesn't make any sense. It's full of symbolism, metaphors, allegories, parables, and even some of the narratives conflict with themselves. The book of Revelation makes no sense at all. Wouldn't it have been more efficient for John to have visions that he could write down matter-of-factly without it seeming like he was smoking something? If Jehovah had just said what was going to happen and when, instead of making vague prophecies that could be applied to just about anything, wouldn't we have a much easier time of it? Instead we have thousands of years of confusion.

If everyone could read the Bible and understand it (and not need help from anointed JWs, as suggested by the WBTS), wouldn't life be that much easier?

er

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Yes, and that is why I think that a god who cares about his creation would have made a book as clear as possible, in a language easy to understand and also why even bother with a book ? Why not just communicate directly with people? God can do anything right?

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

The 'command' to preach was ostensibly given by Jesus post his resurrection (Matthew 24:14, 19, 20) - Seeing that Matthew was written at the very least 40 years after Jesus death, there is a very good chance this was actually an early Church directive, including the baptismal formula being 'in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit'.

I agree, IF the Bible were written more clearly, there would be no need to preach...

As always, good points!

• jambon1
    jambon1

You are talking too much sense for the religious minded. It's got to be a big guddle of pure confusing bullshyte. Then the competition kicks off to see who can make the most sense of it. So far there are about 3 thousand sects claiming to see what it really says. Just what god would want eh? What a load of old bollox.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yup, fer shur. and while He's at it how about some major miracles? He used to do it all the time. Moses strikes a rock with his stick and water gushes out, Jesus was a walking magic show. Why not? I know they have a tortured explanation for why God has become a silent mystery figure in our modern age when all through the Bible he was Barnum and Bailey, the internet and Houdini all rolled into one.

Me think damn funny.

• Casper
    Casper

This is something that always bothered me too...

If it meant life and death for God's people... and he really cared, why not just spell out the requirements in "Plain" understandable words... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You do A. B. and C. and you're in...

All this guessing what this means, or fifty ways to understand this or that scripture.... makes no sense to me.

If he cared, it wouldn't be such a riddle.

Cas

• Gregor
    Gregor

Imagine a loving father handing his children several hundred pages of mumbo jumbo and if they can't figure it out he takes them out in the back yard and puts a bullet in their head.

• Casper
    Casper

Goodness, Gregor

So graphic, but sadly true...

Cas

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

GREGOR

Your statement is So true in reality, for some reason the way you said that had me laughing out loud it struck me so funny. My husband came running and wondering what was so funny. I rarely laugh out loud so you made my day. LOL

I have often said this exact same thing. Why does the bible have to be such a mystery and open to interruptation. Why can't we just be told the Truth and what God wants. Why can't he show us signs or miracles to prove that he means business etc etc. It just doesn't seem fair all this confusion.

I know a lot of the JW's explanation is that its not confusing if you have a good heart and ask for Gods direction. Then he will guide you to the truth. They think that is what has happened to them.

I don't buy that anymore.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The first time I read the Tao Te Ching, which by the way takes maybe an hour, at most, I was still an active JW, but I immediately thought, "Now THIS is how a book inspired by god ought to read!" Now the Tao doesn't claim to be inspired or holy at all, just the wisdom of how to live well.

Now, the Bible, supposedly the handiwork of the one, true, all-wise god, reads like the biggest jumble of myth, legend, semi-history, stories, rewritten history, hallucinations, the ramblings of religious fanatics, letters documenting the dissension and arguments among Jesus' early followers and the ambitious shenanigans of a few men trying to create a new religion.

Wait, that's exactly what it is!!

Reading the Bible was a major factor in convincing me that it is certainly not a holy or inspired book in any way.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit