I broke my leg

by hillbilly 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Ouch, Hope your up and at it soon. I might re-think how much I love horses!

Get well Soon,

lol

hope4others

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Get better fast.

lisa

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I was in the yard.. about 40 feet from the kitchen porch.

I steped of the horse... and took about a half step back... he shifted. I think he was kicking to get a fly and my leg just was in the way. I have been around horses a long time... just a freak thing I will be back on as soon as I am able.

I felt it... I got a look at it as I was falling over... My foot was pointed away at a funny angle.

One of the boys was watching a ball game and had dozed off. The little one was in the back of the house playing. I was screaming like mad for at least 5 minutes before any on them heard me. I guess I sound like a calf bellowing when I scream.

Life guard son finally came out... took a look. I told him to call 911. About then my cell rang... wife was at Walmart, and was asking some question about pool supplies or something. Needless to say, she headed home ASAP.

She got home about the time the Fire Deptartment showed up. He wanted to pull my boot off... I told him to cut it off... he did, We took a hour ride into OKC. The FD cannot give narcotics What a fun ride. I was counting backwards and doing oral math to keep from slipping into shock

Got to the Hospital.. of course a student nurse was going to start the IV...I have deep veins. 'Nuff said. She blew out 2 tries ... the RN finally got one in the left elbow.

Doc comes in takes a look... they had dropped 4 units of Moraphine... he asked for some other stuff in the drip.. after a few minutes he asked the wife out of the room ... a couple of guys came in, held me down... and Doc reduced the disclocated bone... I was still pretty alert when he did it.

So they rolled me over to surgery... plates and screws... and sent me up to the room about midnight.

I was awake.. doped up and needing to piss in the worst way...maybe sedatives make it hard to wizzz. but I'd get it out and aimed ... and wait. Someone would knock on the door see what I was trying to do... close the door... I'd start over. This went on for 2 hours or so. I finally emptied my bladder , nooded off and of course... I didnt know this, you are not allowed to sleep in a hospital bed. For the next 3 or 4 hours every time I'd nod off some one had to look at something of poke me.

Oh ..that IV port in the elbow... every time I'd bend my arm it would start an audible alarm ... neat...Fall asleep, move your arm ...constant flow of people or noise...The second night I was there .. determined to get some sleep I called the nurses station every time the thing went off... I finally told her to move the IV cart to the left side of the bed so I couldnt get the tubing tangled up... It moraphine on demand button was tangled up an on the floor too...

Good surgeon.. poor hospital staff. This place uses CNA's and LPN's in orthepedcis and those folks were great... the RN was a ditz.

SO... lessons learned... You will break a leg only when you are wearning a nearly new pair of boots.

Passing out is a gift... I never came close.. never puked either

I will be working from home a few weeks... sposed to get a hard cast on after the surgical site heals up in about 10 days.

Hill

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Mend well, Hillbilly.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

So sorry! OUCH!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

oh man, I bet you are glad that part is over! I hope you heal quickly!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I was screaming like mad for at least 5 minutes before any on them heard me
    About then my cell rang... wife was at Walmart,

why didn't you use your cell to call 911

lisa

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I've had a lot of painful things happen to me, a broken leg was the worst. I hope you are not in that kind of pain, but then maybe they've given you the proper pain meds. I went for a week without it, with three breaks in my lower leg. Screamed, even in my sleep for a few days. They say a broken femur is the most painful thing known to humans. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Hillbilly:

What a bad break! I'm glad you've gotten through the worst of it. Hope you're on your feet again soon.

All the best,

CoCo

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Man! That don't sound like no fun! Now what bone/s did the horse break? The tibia and fibula? Did he kick you in your shin area? Ouchie!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit