My last meeting as an elder

by Lee Elder 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

The thread on judicial committes reminded me of my last meeting
    as a JW elder. A major rift had developed on the body of elders
    between conservative elements and the moderate/liberal elements.
    With the moving away of some moderates the conservatives had
    taken a 5-4 majority and were flexing their muscles, using the J.C.
    process to even some old scores and to "whip the congregation
    into shape." They were egged on by one of the most conservative,
    hardline circuit overseers I have ever met. The man was nothing
    short of a complete moron.

After a major tiff at a body of elders meeting where horns locked
    and the proverbial poop hit the fan (Hardliners tried to remove
    me as the WTS conductor), two elders were assigned to meet
    with me and ask a bunch of questions to try and satisfy the questions
    in the minds of the hardliners.

Here is the question that pushed me over the edge:

"Br._____, when was the last time you disfellowshipped
    a young person?"

That was it for me - "Jehovah painted it red" as one elder use to say.
    I knew I could no longer actively support the WTS or stand by
    and watch these oppressive wolves destroy lives and families.
    I was already quite involved with efforts to promote reform of
    the blood doctrine at the time.

Lee

• JT
    JT

after the last elders school - that was it for me-

the constanT do more do more do more

mindset was too much

the only thing we talked about it seem like was Judcial stuff and how to protect the wt if the elders jacked up a case

no love no love

as i tell folks all the time
    the flock book is the most important book to the bible for an elder so to speak- yet there is not one subject line called LOVE

HOW SAD

PLENTY ON CARESSING THE BREAST THOUGH

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    after the last elders school - that was it for me-

the constanT do more do more do more

mindset was too much

that damn Jesus and asking his followers to exert themselves...and
    seek first the kingdom

what was he thinking??

• Farkel
    Farkel

nytel,

: that damn Jesus and asking his followers to exert themselves...and
    seek first the kingdom

: what was he thinking??

What was he thinking when he said the two MOST important commandments which summed up the ENTIRE law were to love God and love your neighbor?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Lee Elder,

Do you want another meeting?

• Simon
    Simon

Being true to yourself and your conscience is far more important - I think you did the right thing Lee and get my respect.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Hi, nytelecom1

Sometimes I don’t understand what you mean, and maybe this is one of those times.

I believe James’ comment had to do with publishers being made to feel like they are not doing enough when they are already doing all they can, not that it is wrong to encourage exertion. Does Jesus imply his followers should do more than they can?

Hello, Lee

I too get tired of hearing “you are too moderate” in your views and actions. Exactly how can anyone be too moderate when a scriptural qualification is reasonableness? If it is a question of rightness, then let them question that! Then, if a person is right it should prevail, or if they are wrong then the wrongness should be established. But how can moderation be questioned? It is an illogical concept!

Greetings, Farkel!

Love is the most powerful motivator of all, toward goodness anyway. History testifies that people will act way beyond their normal capacity when love is behind their action. It is good to be reminded of this. Thanks!

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    What was he thinking when he said the two MOST important commandments which summed up the ENTIRE law were to love God and love your neighbor?

the same thing dubs think today

• ianao
    ianao

nytelecom1 "Fancied":

<qt>What was he thinking when he said the two MOST important commandments which summed up the ENTIRE law were to love God and love your neighbor?<qt>

the same thing dubs think today

This mentality is what would put dubs in private compounds if the stress was not put on pushing magazines.
  • jst2laws
    jst2laws

Back to last elders meetings:

My last meeting with the body of elders was not pretty. We had just had the Circuit Overseer’s visit. I had fought with him and twice counseled him for his lack of love in the way he handled matters. He had been after me since he came to the area because he had what he called a “file” on me and the body of elders. I was the most liberal (or moderate as Lee put it) but the body was very much in agreement.

The CO’s report was full of inaccuracies. It was so bad the CO could not get all of the service committee to sign it. So he had to read it to the entire body. One elder spoke up and said the report amounted to lying to the Governing Body. Two elders walked out of the meeting, besides me. He finally got the service committee to sign his lies with the agreement that he would make some changes to it, which he did not.

So my last meeting with the body I read the report to them and asked if they support what it said. Answer, unanimously NO! Then I asked what they intended to do about it. The majority answer was NOTHING! I asked the body how they could keep beating the friends over conscience matters while winking at slander, just because it involved the CO.

I shuck my head and told the body “this stinks”. A week later I gave them my letter of resignation, which laid out the wrongdoing of the CO that I was conscientiously protesting.
    The body did nothing but send it in to the Society. The Society never even responded other then the rubber stamp.

Jst2laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit