Local needs: 40% of the congregation are irregular at meetings

by truthseeker 27 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Well, our local needs talk was a bit out of the ordinary - normally it's something mundane like improving Bible studies.

After harping on about the good things the congregation is doing, we got to the meat.

There are 100 publishers in the cong - 40% of them are irregular meeting attenders.

The elder said that those who are irregular at meetings are also irregular on field service.

He also said the elders would continue to shepherd these ones, yet most of us never get as shepherding call.

He said that those who've lost their joy feel this way because they don't fellowship often enough and lack appreciation for sacred things.

There are those who are liberal, manifest an independent spirit and have worldly associations.

He even said that those who need to hear this counsel are those who are missing.

Oh well. I suppose it's good news.

• chickpea
    chickpea

guess it never occurs to them that maybe people dont want to be bashed about their innocent, mundane choices to stay home and enjoy an evening without being bashed!!!

of course, the gung-ho members in attendance had a healthy scoop of self-righteousness heaped on their plates.....

been there, done that ( on both sides of the door now) ..... nothing has changed

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This guy and his wife are spiritual snobs - they run the congregation, always out in service, isn't the faithful slave wonderful bla bla bla...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> He said that those who've lost their joy..

It never dawns on him that perhaps they've FOUND joy in skipping the joyless meetings?

Question: When the bookstudy goes away, will they have to skip even MORE meetings just to keep their percentages down? I would, just to be on the safe side. (Don't do the math, or you'll wind up not skipping more meetings!)

Dave

• Gopher
    Gopher

I always loved it when they had a special needs part at the meeting, for those who weren't there.

• Gopher
  • steve2
    steve2

I suppose you resisted the urge to yell out loud to the elder delivering this predictable tripe: "Tell someone who cares!"

• changeling
    changeling

Sounds like you are in a great congregation!

Enjoy,

changeling :)

• Honesty
    Honesty
    He even said that those who need to hear this counsel are those who are missing.

Then why did you have to be subjected to his ranting?

• sir82
    sir82

It always kills me when they have "Local Needs" parts on meeting attendance...umm, the people who "need" to hear it aren't there at the meeting! Hello, McFly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit