What is the best way to help Fundamentalist Literalist Christians...

by BurnTheShips 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

An excellent idea for a thread.

It bought to mind a line from a Smiths song, 'When your biology catches up with your mentality'. This Board over the years has been a good proving ground for the dynamics that shape the literalist mind, as we have had, and have a number of posters of that ilk.

My own experience is that it is not possible to argue with an agenda with any practical outcome. The fundamental religionist has a conclusion set in visceral concrete by that most illogical and unassailable abstract - faith. It is to this conclusion that all science, sociological and otherwise, must be bent in order to serve the needs of that faith. Ask a simple question which would seek to move them to uncomfortable areas, such as 'why do humans get goosebumps', and it is ignored.

In order to maintain such a position, it is essential that disturbing issues, such as dendrocronology for example, be ignored, or more usually that some minor blemish be found in its science and then a mountain of criticism of the whole science can be built on this blemish, while of course ignoring the big picture.

What really is needed is for the biology to catch up with the mentality and this takes intellectual honesty, non-partisan reasoning of facts and fancies and above all a desire to know what is true. The personality dicates this process, not neccessarily the information. I have found the more insecure a person, the more virulent their adhesion to their fundamentalist ideologies. One of the reasons that the WTS was so easily able to imprison us in a fundamentalist prison, is that it cleverly played on our personal insecurities. A desire for the world to be a giant Cuddly Club, the desire to live for ever, the need to feel purpose or being, the need to belong. Once we shed, or at least dealt with those insecurities, the real world opened up to us like Jungle Gardenia.

So like Narkissos, I believe for example, that trying to get such a person to study the history of religious thought, the evolution of language, the history of ritual, is more effective than banging heads about evolution.

I recall a brave attempt on by JGnat on this Board to introduce one Calvanist Crackpot to a more gentle Christianity a few years ago. The end product of a very long thread was that he concluded that she was not a 'true' Christian and that she was damned to the fires of Hell for watering down the message of the avenging Christ. soaked her in a tsunami of evangelical spittle, then moved on to other less Godless places. It is par for the course with such people.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If I may add, I feel that an introduction to "humanities" is greatly needed both sides of the debate, since much of the "anti-Christian" arguments I can read on this site takes it for granted that "literalism" is the only consistent "Christianity" there is. Iow, non-fundamentalist Christians are regarded as "half-Christians" or inconsistent Christians by atheists as well. As surprising as this is from a continental European perspective, this seems to be the commonly agreed ground for discussion in the English-speaking world, and especially in America...

It does seem to be more of an point of view of the Anglosphere.

It is lonely being stuck in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMrm7ZQ0aMA

I agree with you on the humanities. A realistic education on the development of the Christian canon, doctrine, as well as the growth and historical foundations of modern science could dispel the ideas a lot of people hold either overtly or reflexively regarding the so called "conflict thesis". Interestingly, it appears that historians have moved on, even it most of the rest of us have not.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It bought to mind a line from a Smiths song, 'When your biology catches up with your mentality'. This Board over the years has been a good proving ground for the dynamics that shape the literalist mind, as we have had, and have a number of posters of that ilk.

My own experience is that it is not possible to argue with an agenda with any practical outcome. The fundamental religionist has a conclusion set in visceral concrete by that most illogical and unassailable abstract - faith. It is to this conclusion that all science, sociological and otherwise, must be bent in order to serve the needs of that faith. Ask a simple question which would seek to move them to uncomfortable areas, such as 'why do humans get goosebumps', and it is ignored.

I find the Smiths lyrics very appropriate regarding hyperliteral fundamentalism:

Park the car at the side of the road
    you should know, time's tide will smother you
    and I will too.........

but that joke isn't funny anymore

I recall a brave attempt on by JGnat on this Board to introduce one Calvanist Crackpot to a more gentle Christianity a few years ago. The end product of a very long thread was that he concluded that she was not a 'true' Christian and that she was damned to the fires of Hell for watering down the message of the avenging Christ. soaked her in a tsunami of evangelical spittle, then moved on to other less Godless places. It is par for the course with such people.

Link?

Burn

• karvel
    karvel

lobotomies.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Here is the link as requested.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/115459/2023120/post.ashx#2023120

The poster went under the name of ShiningOne (Rex). Who knows he may still post here under another name, or have taken up his place in Heaven from where he can urinate on the human race to his hearts content. The amusing thing is that he waxed lyrical over Syd Barrett, who actually represented everything that he seemed to detest in a person. Fundamentalism and cognitive dissonance though are telepathic twins, and remind me of the time I was sitting in an airport lounge and was confronted by one of the ugliest male faces that I had seen in years, I thought, "My God. Now that is ugly". Then believe it or not his twin sidled up to him and I added, "...... and there are two of them!".

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thanks HS, much respect for Jgnat.

And I miss LittleToe.

Burn

• jgnat
    jgnat

Boy oh boy, I got an honorable mention. Thanks, HS, for that blast from the past. Darn I can get eloquent when goaded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit