What is the best way to help Fundamentalist Literalist Christians...

by BurnTheShips 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I've had many respectful conversations with them and you can see the eyes glaze over when the cognitive dissonance kicks in.

Well, many don't want to be "helped". I haven't spoken to many of them as you seem to have. I know a few however, my first stop on the way out of dubdom was in a nondenominational "Bible-based" house-church. I met with them for a time. I still meet with them very occasionally because they have become my good friends. Out of respect I haven't really engaged many of them on these issues.

I think the best way to speak is to speak from their own traditions, their own book, and from their own understanding. A reconciliation.

Burn

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Personally I think the best way is to ask questions. Don't interpret the answer at all, just ask questions. Most christians will be more than happy to explain their beliefs to you, if you ask questions that stump them maybe they'll then find the answer. That's what I would say is the best method, but that's subject to debate.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

IP_SEC

I've had many respectful conversations with them and you can see the eyes glaze over when the cognitive dissonance kicks in.

I've had the same reaction from the other perspective.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

We have to first, agree on what science is.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Leaving "hard sciences" aside for a while and getting into "human sciences": linguistics, history of religions, literatures and ideas...

But there we'll find the same "sociological barriers" hamilcarr mentioned.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We have to first, agree on what science is.

What do you think would be a reasonable definition DD?

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Leaving "hard sciences" aside for a while and getting into "human sciences": linguistics, history of religions, literatures and ideas...

But "hard sciences" leave less open to interpretation than humanities do.

Burn

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

If I may ask a follow up, what exactly are you trying to prove to the fundementalist christian?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Burn,

Imo open interpretation is precisely the point. It's about questioning the way "literalists" read ancient texts such as the first page of Genesis, anachronically putting them on the same literary register as modern science textbooks.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Imo open interpretation is precisely the point. It's about questioning the way "literalists" read ancient texts such as the first page of Genesis, anachronically putting them on the same literary register as modern science textbooks.

Ah, I see. Treat the document not as hard science, but as something else.

I like the way St. Augustine of Hippo describes this:

It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

– The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20, Chapt. 19 [AD 408]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit