What is the best way to help Fundamentalist Literalist Christians...

by BurnTheShips 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I would like to discuss what is the best way to help Fundamentalist Literalist Christians lower their guard and embrace science as it reveals the physical world to us?

Of course the key scientific teaching that causes a sticking point is evolution, not to mention other things such as the age of the Universe.

Burn

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

I wouldn't agree about evolution.

Many scientists don't embrace evolution (adaptation doesn't equal mutation, etc.).

The age of the universe is good, though.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

meds

• dinah
    dinah

Ippy, I was gonna say gag 'em and put 'em in the closet.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Teach the difference between science and philosophy to naturalists.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Teach the difference between science and philosophy to naturalists.

A lot of them don't seem to get the difference.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    meds
    Ippy, I was gonna say gag 'em and put 'em in the closet.

I know this is toungue and cheek, but I think that is the attitude that drives many further into their shell. Burn

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Breaking the sociological barriers between "elitist science" and religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Breaking the sociological barriers between "elitist science" and religion.

That's the way I see it too. I think the best way is for this to happen is from within the Christian community. This is very difficult however, because the particular communities that are the most fundamentalist and literalist are almost entirely Protestant and very, very, denominationally fragmented. There is no human locus of authority. It is also difficult because these same people believe themselves to be under attack by a new cultural wave of antireligious, antichristian militancy.

The North Wind boasted of great strength. The Sun argued that there was great power in gentleness.

"We shall have a contest," said the Sun.

Far below, a man traveled a winding road. He was wearing a warm winter coat.

"As a test of strength," said the Sun, "Let us see which of us can take the coat off of that man."

"It will be quite simple for me to force him to remove his coat," bragged the Wind.

The Wind blew so hard, the birds clung to the trees. The world was filled with dust and leaves. But the harder the wind blew down the road, the tighter the shivering man clung to his coat.

Then, the Sun came out from behind a cloud. Sun warmed the air and the frosty ground. The man on the road unbuttoned his coat.

The sun grew slowly brighter and brighter.

Soon the man felt so hot, he took off his coat and sat down in a shady spot.

"How did you do that?" said the Wind.

"It was easy," said the Sun, "I lit the day. Through gentleness I got my way."

Burn
  • IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I know this is toungue and cheek,

Yes Burn it was but really I dont think there is anything that a person can do to 'help' them.

We were all FLC in one way or another before leaving the JWs. It takes time and an open mind on their part to even listen without shutting down.

I've had many respectful conversations with them and you can see the eyes glaze over when the cognitive dissonance kicks in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit