Flood? World's Oldest Living Tree -- 9550 years old -- Discovered In Sweden

by skyking 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skyking
    skyking

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080416104320.htm

The world's oldest recorded tree is a 9,550 year old spruce in the Dalarna province of Sweden. The spruce tree has shown to be a tenacious survivor that has endured by growing between erect trees and smaller bushes in pace with the dramatic climate changes over time.

For many years the spruce tree has been regarded as a relative newcomer in the Swedish mountain region. "Our results have shown the complete opposite, that the spruce is one of the oldest known trees in the mountain range," says Leif Kullman, Professor of Physical Geography at UmeƄ University.

A fascinating discovery was made under the crown of a spruce in Fulu Mountain in Dalarna. Scientists found four "generations" of spruce remains in the form of cones and wood produced from the highest grounds.

The discovery showed trees of 375, 5,660, 9,000 and 9,550 years old and everything displayed clear signs that they have the same genetic makeup as the trees above them. Since spruce trees can multiply with root penetrating braches, they can produce exact copies, or clones.

The tree now growing above the finding place and the wood pieces dating 9,550 years have the same genetic material. The actual has been tested by carbon-14 dating at a laboratory in Miami, Florida, USA.

Previously, pine trees in North America have been cited as the oldest at 4,000 to 5,000 years old.

In the Swedish mountains, from Lapland in the North to Dalarna in the South, scientists have found a cluster of around 20 spruces that are over 8,000 years old.

• skyking
    skyking

We have the pines of Sweden, we have the Bristle Cone trees in California that date the world back 9,000 years. I wonder what the bible thumpers think. Any of you like to make a commit?

• allreadygone
    allreadygone

Wow Noah must have had a lot more room on the Ark than was previously thought!
    I mean 20 five thousand year old trees must have taken up a lot of room. Gone

• Caedes
    Caedes

At least he had enough fertiliser for them.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'll bet you could make a really nice coffee table out of that!

• JCanon
    JCanon
    We have the pines of Sweden, we have the Bristle Cone trees in California that date the world back 9,000 years. I wonder what the bible thumpers think. Any of you like to make a commit?

The Bible Thumpers response would be to check to see if Starbucks is still open... A relaxing lah-tay would be nice. Grass and vegetation appeared by the end of the third creative day. Thus with each creative day being 7,000 years long, vegetation would be at least 21,000 years in existence. So, a 9,000-year old specimen, especially with underground generations would not contradict the Bible in the least. So like I said, I'm out for some fun for the evening. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking some are comparing the age of the tree from when the flood is dated. But that presumes trees were all killed during the flood. That's not really confirmed. Further, the 9550-year age was of buried materials, so the RC14 evidence in no way contradicts the Bible. This just says this tree root existed before the flood. So that's the thumper's view. RC14 evidence makes us want coffee! (or maybe bourbon...???) JC

• sir82
    sir82
    But that presumes trees were all killed during the flood. That's not really confirmed.

Of course not! Everybody knows that trees can easily survive being 100% submerged, with no access to sunlight or carbon dioxide, for well over a year!

In fact, I heard there's an apple grove at the bottom of the Mississippi River!

At least, that's what I read in the Weekly World News...

• inkling
    inkling
    Of course not! Everybody knows that trees can easily survive being 100% submerged, with no access to sunlight or carbon dioxide, for well over a year!

What happened was that during the flood, god created a ever-sustained
    bubble of air around each tree sample. He then assigned one angel to each
    tree-bubble. (after all, he has plenty of angels) The job of each of the
    angels was to water and fertilize the trees at the right time, and shine
    upon them their bright shining countenance as light for them to grow.
    They were also each giving a spinning sword (ala eden) to keep out
    all the drowning people.

Sheesh, the problem with you scientists is you have a weak imagination.
    Once you have a magician on your side, why settle for mundane when you
    can have flashy?

[inkling]

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Come on, people. You guys all know that science is only accurate as long as it does not disagree with what the Bible Watchtower Society says!

• changeling
    changeling

Don't you know carbon dating is evil? Shame on you!

changeling :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit