*********** We love baseball******************

by FlyingHighNow 54 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Gopher, I can picture it all. I remember when the Twins and the Braves played in the World Series. I became a Kirby Pucket fan. They called it the Cinderella series since both teams had been in last place or close to it the year before. I recall Kent Herbeck eased one of the Braves off first base and we gave him hell for the rest of the series. Everyone would chant, "Herbeck! Herbeck!" when he would get up to bat. He was the Twin we loved to hate. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Twins, even though they won the series that year. I'm glad to hear they get an outdoor park. Baseball should be played outdoors. I mean I guess it helps when it rains, but still, in door ball just isn't the same.

The West Michigan White Caps, the defending champions, will be playing the Quad Cities River Bandits, who used to be a Twins Farm team from 1999-2004 on Sunday May 4th. I just bought tickets to the game.

• flipper
    flipper

My son and I have always been big San Fransisco Giants fans - and I took him to Candlestick park games from the age of 8- he's 23 now. But it was a great way to build up that father -son thing early on , which we have never lost ! Saw Barroid Bonds lots of times smash HR's into the bay ! We came close to winning the series in 2002, but our starting pitcher wussed out and didn't want to finish Game 6 when he led 5-0 in the 7th inning. Dusty Baker left the decision to the pitcher Russ Ortiz ,he actually wanted Ortiz to finish, as the Giants were 5 outs away from winning the series , however Ortiz actually had a case of the nerves, he was melting down, and Dusty was forced to take him out ! The rest is history, we lost the series because of our bullpen !

Also in 1998 , my son and I saw a great late September game in which the Giants beat the Dodgers in the bottom of the 12th inning on a 2 out 2 strike home run which pushed the Giants into 1st place past the Dodgers ! Great game! Most exciting I ever was at ! In the top of the 12th inning the Giants reliever Rod Beck had got out of a bases loaded , 0 out jam without giving up a run ! Crazy game ! Everybody was high -fiving people they never met after that win ! Great memories ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Flip, I love the National League teams. Just love the strategy when there is no designated hitter. I include the Giants in my affections. I think it's great that you were able to bond with your son through baseball.

Here's a song to get everyone stoked:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GAxb72cssGE

Gary Glitter Rock and Roll Part 2 or the Hey Song. I never dreamt when the song was a hit it would someday be played at ball parks all over America. And I guess it caught on with hockey and American football as well.

• FlyingHighNow
  • chickpea
    chickpea

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the boys of summer...... just watched mine last night lose by 1 ..... the brew crew of milwaukee ..... full of promise and desire..... my favourite friday nights during the summer is to sit around the fire ring, watching the flames dance and flicker and have the game on the car radio....... listening to the dulcet tones of "mr baseball" bob uecker doing the play by play and cheesy, really really cheesy adverts ( which are more annoying than the mozzies and the bats that swoop to eat them!)

likely i will never see a game in the stands as the drive to milwaukee for us takes longer than a flight to manchester england take from o'hare....

i played intramural softball in college and then on some women's leagues in my early 20's.... 2nd base: a happening place!.... i never hit a home run, but i was a dependable base-hitter

i taught 3 of my 4 kids how to catch, throw and field a grounder and the maxim that applies to so many things in life " keep your eye on the ball... ya cant get hit by a ball you see coming!"

( the one kid, the older daughter.... omg poster child for "throws like a girl".... i challenge you to throw... and have the ball drop BEHIND you )

anyway.... great GREAT thread, FHN..............send me in coach, i 'm ready to play today!!!!!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

mInor leauge baseball is the best entertainment value in the country.

eat before you go though... the money is in the vendors.

We are heading to Bricktown (OKC) for a minor leauge game Friday night.

This year is "next year" for the Cubs. One day you will get over those Braves and follow a 'real' team.

Hill

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Go Cards!

Quirky1

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    ( the one kid, the older daughter.... omg poster child for "throws like a girl".... i challenge you to throw... and have the ball drop BEHIND you )

That's cute. So you must have beena pretty good player, Chick. I love watching women play softball. When I was in 7th grade, there was a girl named Liz P. We all had to throw the softball for the president's physical fitness test. Liz threw the softball 180 feet. Our PE coach was so dumfounded, he had her throw the ball three times. Each time she threw it that far. He couldn't throw it that far. None of the boys could throw it that far. She had pretty blonde hair and a nice looking face, but she was built like a football player: a real tank. I was 13 and threw it about 74 feet. We were supposed to throw it 78 ft. I weighed all of 85 lbs.

This year is "next year" for the Cubs. One day you will get over those Braves and follow a 'real' team.

Hey, the Braves are a real team, ya nut. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years in the 1970's. I loved walking past Wrigley during the games. You could hear the bats crack, the organ. It was great. I still can't really call myself a fan, though the Cubs gave us one of my favorite all time players and pitchers Greg Maddux. The pitchers are my favorite players. Maybe this is why I don't like the designated hitter. Have fun at the game. I can't wait to see the White Caps.

The Braves club has been around since 1871. I'd say that's a real team.
    Atlanta Braves
    Established 1871
    Based in Atlanta since 1966

Team Logo

Cap Insignia
    Major league affiliations
    Current uniform
    Retired Numbers3, 21, 35, 41, 42, 44
    Name
    • Atlanta Braves (1966–present)
    • Milwaukee Braves (1953-1965)
      Boston Braves (1941-1952)
      Boston Bees (1936-1940)
      Boston Braves (1912-1935)
      Boston Rustlers (1911)
      Boston Doves (1907-1910)
      Boston Beaneaters (1883-1906)
      Boston Red Stockings (1871-1882)
    Other nicknames
    • The Bravos, America's Team, The Team of the 90s
    Ballpark
    Major league titles
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Quirky, if I am not mistaken, the team playing against the White Caps May 4th is a Cardinal Farm team.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Speaking of the Chicago Cubs, here's Ozzy Osbourne singing Take Me Out To The Ball Game. http://youtube.com/watch?v=OdwOoinuJi0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit