Ditching the Book Study. Is it just a Buy Now, Pay Later option for the WT?

by nicolaou 24 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As I mentioned on another thread, the "time" concept is not an issue here. There will not be a 2 1/2 or 3 hour meeting, no way !

Instead, just as was done with the Public Talk, the three meetings on one night would just be reduced to about 30 minutes each. With songs and prayers, we're looking at the same 1 3/4 hours as we have now.

Not a big issue at all in my view.

Rub a Dub

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I was very surprised when I read of the scrapping of the book study. I agree with the assertion of the OP'er and others, and think that the reduced indoctrination time will result in less effective control of a lot of members' minds. 100 successive hours of non-direct influence is rather a substantial time.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The longer I think about this the more it seems that the Watchtower are about to shoot themselves in the foot. Schoolkids will be under less stress, they'll have that extra night back to get homework done. Mums and Dads might be able to earn just a little extra or perhaps take the family out bowling for the evening.

Interests are going to develop away from Kingdom Hall and the congregation.

This is a BIG change and the ripples are going to spread for years.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Seven 'book study' topics on this page!

Too much, this ones closed.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I can only imagine how the hard-liners and old-timers will feel about this news. They would probably see this as unfair since they did this routine for DECADES ... and now THIS?!! Some bitterness towards how the new generation is having it so easy and the organization is being "soft". I think some feelings are going to be hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit