The Whining on this Site

by easyreader1970 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

This is sort of a response to Lex Talonis' message but I thought it warranted a separate topic.

I am both offended and encouraged by his suggestion that most of us here are just whiners. I think it is encouraging that he wants the Watchtower Society's mentally damaging message stopped. At the same time, I think that he has to understand that many people are extremely limited in what they are able to do. In addition, as someone mentioned, some people are fortunate enough to escape the insanity and they are so involved with their new found freedom that they don't even think about the Witnesses anymore and the people they left behind.

My situation is this: I have been a witness since I was a pre-teen. That is when my family became Witnesses. I am now almost 40. I no longer believe that the Witnesses have the Truth and there were only a few times during my life with them that I believed that they did. I am married with three children. My wife is your typical JW soldier. She is seriously indoctrinated. She is highly intelligent but when it comes to anything to do with messages from the Watchtower, she is obedient and takes her thinking cap off, as she has been instructed. It doesn't have to make sense. "Do as you are told," as the Watchtower likes to repeat over and over.

Therefore I can't share my beliefs or opinions with her. Believe me, she would have me in front of the elders in record time. So what I can I do? Not a whole lot if I don't want my family destroyed. It's easier for a single person to stop going than it is for a person with a family. Maybe if my kids were approaching adulthood I could live, even if I am shunned, knowing that I raised them. If I left now, and my wife separated from me I would be very limited in the raising of my children.

So when I come on these message boards "whining", it is not because I am a coward who is sitting idly by. There really isn't anything I can do right now. My wife is already constantly upset with me because I don't have the "gung ho" attitude that she has or what the Watchtower says I should have. But that's as far as I am willing to go in revealing my true self. A true revelation would be destructive.

I am sure there are many people here, perhaps some silent lurkers, who are in similar situations.

Does the Watchtower Society need to be stopped? Sure. Chipping away at congregation members on a small level won't do anything, though. You might convince one out of five hundred to actually use their brains a little bit, but for the large part the Organization will keep moving on, crushing souls and independence. Something must be done, yes.

Who should do it? I don't know. I am hoping for a major slip up by the Governing Body themselves. One that they can't smooth over. But that may be just wishful thinking.

• metaspy
    metaspy

Um, could you apply some formatting? I got lost around the 3rd line.
    Thanks!

Edit: here let me help...

This is sort of a response to Lex Talonis' message but I thought it warranted a separate topic.
    I am both offended and encouraged by his suggestion that most of us here are just whiners. I think it is encouraging that he wants the Watchtower Society's mentally damaging message stopped. At the same time, I think that he has to understand that many people are extremely limited in what they are able to do.

In addition, as someone mentioned, some people are fortunate enough to escape the insanity and they are so involved with their new found freedom that they don't even think about the Witnesses anymore and the people they left behind.

My situation is this: I have been a witness since I was a pre-teen. That is when my family became Witnesses. I am now almost 40. I no longer believe that the Witnesses have the Truth and there were only a few times during my life with them that I believed that they did. I am married with three children. My wife is your typical JW soldier. She is seriously indoctrinated. She is highly intelligent but when it comes to anything to do with messages from the Watchtower, she is obedient and takes her thinking cap off, as she has been instructed.

It doesn't have to make sense. "Do as you are told," as the Watchtower likes to repeat over and over. Therefore I can't share my beliefs or opinions with her. Believe me, she would have me in front of the elders in record time. So what I can I do? Not a whole lot if I don't want my family destroyed.

It's easier for a single person to stop going than it is for a person with a family. Maybe if my kids were approaching adulthood I could live, even if I am shunned, knowing that I raised them. If I left now, and my wife separated from me I would be very limited in the raising of my children. So when I come on these message boards "whining", it is not because I am a coward who is sitting idly by. There really isn't anything I can do right now. My wife is already constantly upset with me because I don't have the "gung ho" attitude that she has or what the Watchtower says I should have. But that's as far as I am willing to go in revealing my true self.

A true revelation would be destructive. I am sure there are many people here, perhaps some silent lurkers, who are in similar situations. Does the Watchtower Society need to be stopped? Sure. Chipping away at congregation members on a small level won't do anything, though. You might convince one out of five hundred to actually use their brains a little bit, but for the large part the Organization will keep moving on, crushing souls and independence.

Something must be done, yes. Who should do it? I don't know. I am hoping for a major slip up by the Governing Body themselves. One that they can't smooth over. But that may be just wishful thinking.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

My heart goes out to you, easyreader. Your wife has been given a license to treat you like dog-doo. What does this do to your authority with your children?

What a terrible, (but not uncommon) situation to be in!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, Easyreader:

Thank you for your post. Many of us were OR still are in your current position. I am personally acquainted with a medical circumstance wherein victims are now surviving accidents that once claimed most lives. The victims and their families require education and training heretofore unavailable.

Perhaps it is likewise for us who escape The Cult. The plethora of JW-related information that is now available helps escapees on every imaginable level. Who'd have thought of support groups for JWs, et al? I've stated often that the education received on JWD has been far more valuable to me than all the "truths" learned at the KH.

Please stay seriously on board and help us and be helped yourself.

Best wishes on your domestic situation,

CoCo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome,Easyreader!

MetaSpy, next time you ask someone to format, it would help if you would tell them how to do it. It is non-obvious to someone who does not use Internet ExPLODER.

The easy directions to PARAGRAPHS are here:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/24/152397/1.ashx

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Sorry about the poorly formatted posting. I have edited the original post to include carriage returns! Thanks for the tip!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Welcome,

Maybe if my kids were approaching adulthood I could live, even if I am shunned, knowing that I raised them. If I left now, and my wife separated from me I would be very limited in the raising of my children. So when I come on these message boards "whining", it is not because I am a coward who is sitting idly by. There really isn't anything I can do right now. My wife is already constantly upset with me because I don't have the "gung ho" attitude that she has or what the Watchtower says I should have. But that's as far as I am willing to go in revealing my true self.

It is very hard when children are involved having a young family, I feel for you in this situation. Is there away to get her occupied with fun

family times? This may help to get the self righteous attitude calmed down a bit. Realizing there is more to life than just bible study,study,study.

hope4others

• Honesty
    Honesty

Shine don't whine.

From now on whiners are penalized $5.00 each time they whine.

Money Orders accepted

Paypal preferred

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

There is a difference between whining and venting. Venting can keep you sane, mentally, in certain circumstances. This site is here for venting, asking questions you were or are still not able to ask as a JW. There are MANY kind, compassionate people here who will listen and help. Welcome Aboard!!!

Honesty, did you see in the news about that Church of Christ minister who has t-shirts and purple bracelets to discourage whining? lol.......thought it was kind of cute myself.

terri

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

many have NO ONE to talk to, to vent to, to share feelings and experiences. NO ONE to acknowledge how one feels. Except the strangers at the other end of the internet. If you think someone is whining, click onto a different thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit