I tore up my Blood Card yesterday

by Awakened at Gilead 16 Replies latest jw friends

• still_in74
    still_in74
    I told my wife that I wanted to donate blood, in case a JW needs a blood fraction, they can take it out of my blood...

i mentioned this point to an elder and he thought about it for a minute and then agreed with me. So many dont even think about the double-standard here.

as for tearing up your card - congrats. I shredded my in an actual paper shredder a few months ago. Lately with all the talks about filling out the blood cards I am hoping my wife doesnt ask about it!

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

Congrats! I did that a few months ago, first I just stopped carrying it, and then I came across it in a pile of pbills I was filing and shredded it. It felt so liberating!

• blondie
    blondie

Healthcare proxy or power of attorney, this is a good document for all to have, it authorizes someone to make medical decisions of all kinds for you when you are unconscious, unable to make your own. Each state or country has its own rules and format. Check on google.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    in case a JW needs a blood fraction, they can take it out of my blood

LOL, what a classic line. I don't think there is much of a come back to that.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    in case a JW needs a blood fraction, they can take it out of my blood

LOL, what a classic line. I don't think there is much of a come back to that.

• Layla33
    Layla33
    Healthcare proxy or power of attorney, this is a good document for all to have, it authorizes someone to make medical decisions of all kinds for you when you are unconscious, unable to make your own. Each state or country has its own rules and format. Check on google.

I totally agree, I got one after I was divorced because of my immediate family all being witnesses. Congratulations Gilead, one step at a time. :-)

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I became careless about carrying it at some point a couple of years before I left. I think it was a silent protest. Blood had always been one of the most uncomfortable doctrines for me. It just never set right with me. At Bethel one year I missed the meeting when they passed them out so I just changed the date on my old one. I ended up keeping that same card for a few years crossing the dates out each time. What made me finally rip it up and throw it away was when I opened my wallet at the grocery store once and I noticed that the clerk noticed the card. I can't remember if she said anything but I just knew I was embarrassed to have it. I thought to myself, "This does not represent how I really feel." It was gone that night. And this was before I wrote an essay in college about it and really settled the matter in my mind beyond doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit