I tore up my Blood Card yesterday

by Awakened at Gilead 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

As you may know from my previous posts, I am fairly new to being an xJW, having taken may decision about 3 weeks ago. During this time I have read the information about blood on JWFacts and in ISofCF, for example,.... so yesterday, much to my wife's chagrin, I tore up my blood card in front of her.

I wanted to drive home a point... she will be needing surgery soon, and has told me that she does NOT want blood. I wanted to demonstrate to her that I no longer agree with the blood policy...

And I even went so far as to check about donating blood. (I can't right now, since I am taking antibiotics). So I told my wife that I wanted to donate blood, in case a JW needs a blood fraction, they can take it out of my blood...

Needless to say, she is not too happy with this decision...

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

First kudos to you....

clap1clap1clap1clap1clap1clap1

When I was nursing.......as long as she is your next of kin....or power attorney for healthcare....she can still make all your medical decisions, unless you make it clear with your doctor, and local hospital, that you WILL take blood.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Thanks, CBD,

I'll have to create a new Medical Directive, I guess... to avoid my wife preventing me from receiving it if I am unconscious.

A@G

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

But keep in mind, what is the chances of that being presented if something were to happen to you?

In the ER, we didn't have time to go look those things up. Just something for u to think about.

shelley

• nelly136
    nelly136

tearing up your directive is a great start, i'd definately have your medical records changed to reflect your wishes as well.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That's a humongous undertaking to make that decision, good for you

Cheers!

hope4others

• chickpea
    chickpea

that is exactly what i did less than 6 months ago!!! it IS a declaration of free thinking, for a certainty..... and just reading your subject title brought that sense of trepidation that preceeded the final conviction that my mind no longer belonged to the b0rg!!

reminds me of the denzel washington character in "glory" who tore up his pay chit and urged his fellow soldiers to " TEAR IT UP"

congrats on the step forward! nice to be on the path with you....

• Gopher
    Gopher
    And I even went so far as to check about donating blood. (I can't right now, since I am taking antibiotics). So I told my wife that I wanted to donate blood, in case a JW needs a blood fraction, they can take it out of my blood...

Glad to see you rid yourself of the unnecessary suicide card. I hope your missus comes to see the light someday. You're moving at astonishing speed, and it may be overwhelming her a bit (but it's good for you).

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: " . . . to avoid my wife preventing me from receiving it if I am unconscious."

You got a wife who'd let ya die if yer sick? If this is how yer best friend treats you, Man, I hope you don't have any enemies.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I long since shredded any blood cards I might have had, and refused to pick one up or sign one since about 2002. And, I never carried it around with me--except in field circus or at the Grand Boasting Sessions where it might be needed as ID or they might expect me to have it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit