the meetup

by sh4m3sh4m3 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myway2007
    myway2007

Hi sh4m3sh4m3,

This is a matter of will. You need to have a strong will and follow what you feel is right. When I walked away, from what I was born and raised into, it was hard, and I was very much alone. It takes time to find your balance and what is right for you. Anger, fear, hurt, are all feelings and phases to go through. You just have to slush through it knowing you made a decision that is right for you. It's been over 20 yrs for me, most of my family have not had words with me in all that time. Was it hard? yes. Did I ever think of going back? I thought about it but always came to the same conclusion. It would not be me, and it wouldn't be right. I was strong willed enough to survive, and rebuild my life, and now have people around me, that have made life great.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I have lost all of my friends *almost* and the few that I have left are probably soon to be leaving my life. I don't fit in with the world and I don't fit in at the meetings.

This is a very difficult interim. We discover that friends are not really friends if we
    stop being obedient mindless drones. We don't feel comfortable with others.

I have great co-workers, but they go out and drink. I cannot drink with them.
    I have great friends among the meetup ex-JW's, but I have an active JW wife
    who wouldn't understand. Give it time. It'll work out.

• Sasha
    Sasha

Get out, it's a cult.

• cognac
    cognac
    One of the elders that went over my questions for baptism with me, was there.

At this point I probably would have pee'd myself and had to of gone home, lol...

I argued that I don't want to leave Jehovah and that I never left the organization; It left me, when it became affiliated with the UN. She doesn't me or my situation.

Did you mean she doesn't believe you? Tell her to call the society and find out for herself. They will give the excuse that they needed a library card, however, I don't believe you need a library card to be affiliated with the UN. Somebody here could let you know for sure though...

But, most of them had their own agenda.

What kind of agenda do you think they had? Just curious.

• sh4m3sh4m3
    sh4m3sh4m3

No, I think she believes me. I just mean, that she isn't willing to think about it. It's too hard for her to imagine leaving at this point. She validates me; she'll say things like, "I know it's hard, but you just have to keep with it." She agrees with a lot of what I say, but she doesn't get that you can't hang on to something wrong or false, just because it's easier than causing waves. You know? I think everyone has their own agenda. Whatever circumstances they left the WTB&TS in, that's what they want to drive home. No mean to offend...but I personally don't care about dates being wrong and them seeing new light. I personally don't think that is the societies biggest fault. It's that they claim to understand more than they do. And what's the harm in stating "we don't know." At the meetup some people had brought books and charts to show how wrong they were. I personally, think my energy would be better spent, not trying to point out the flaws and wrong that the society has done. Many of the men there had been elders at some point. The two I talked to focused a lot on how they were driven out of their positions in the congregation and they left soon after. That's what I mean when I say it was a different side of the same coin. They were still hung up on position. The terms they used, like 'I had to step down' or 'in 1976 I MADE ELDER' bothered me. I'm trying to get away from the position being the focal point of my spirituality. When you are so busy trying to campaign for position, where does Jehovah fit in? And when you are so focused on the pain of being thrown out of that position, how do you heal and move on?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    It's that they claim to understand more than they do

Or that they think they do, that has been a huge problem for me.

How are you feeling today kid?

hope4others

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi and welcome. My pure speculation is that for every dozen still-angry-after-all-these-years ex-JWs there are a hundred more who have managed to put it behind them entirely. People come and go from sites like this all the time; many people manage to move on within a year or two. Some of us take longer. Some never shake it at all. It's a little sad, but not the saddest thing in the world.

You'll work it out. All the best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit