The Pope apologized

by sspo 10 Replies latest social current

• sspo
    sspo

The Pope humbly apologized to the victims of sexual abuse and showed his concern and pain that they went thru.

Are we ever going to see anytime soon "the humble GB" showing the same concern for the young JW's that have been

abused ? Don't hold your breath on that.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Religious leaders are like politicians...they publicly apologize only when they have their backs to the wall and cannot deny anymore.

Sorry pope...much too little, much too late.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "the humble GB" showing the same concern for the young JW's that have been abused

(Mocking the GB)
    First of all, our highest priority is the protection of children.
    Secondly, the two situations are incomparible because only a handful of elders
    were involved in abusing children. The vast majority of case of JW's abusing
    children involved members who were not elders. Just because there is a huge
    problem here, we are going to put up a smokescreen.

It has never been our official policy to discourage victims or their loved ones from
    going to the authorities, it has only been our UNofficial policy. We teach our
    members to totally rely on the guidance of elders in virtually every situation, but
    the member should know when not to rely on the elders. It is the member's own
    fault if he doesn't know the difference between a spiritual situation and a legal
    situation or a potentially psychologically damaging situation.

If it appears that we are not concerned for the children, it is simply a big misunderstanding.
    We are concerned for the children's everlasting welfare, and that means they need to be
    patient and let Jehovah clear up the matter. If they are raped and psychologically
    damaged, it is only in "this system of things." Jehovah will undo their damage and let
    them kick beachballs againts elephants in Paradise. We have to try to avoid the issue
    in order to keep our finances protected from lawsuits so that the funds can go toward
    teaching millions of others what the truth is, instead of depriving them of the truth so that
    one temporarily victimized child can get millions of dollars which might lead him to a life
    of materialism. SEE, we have everyone's best interests in mind.

• freetosee
    freetosee

what the pope did was very poor, but at least he did it... the gb will not... it will take them a few more generations... and scandalous reports from the media...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    ... it will take them a few more generations...

What a great segway into another subject.

Then it could take thousands of years, depending on what you mean by "generations."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. And he didn't just make a public speech, he met with victims personally:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g2HB5DCqFrv5iT4gm7rzJ8EdHSrAD9045L482

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. And he didn't just make a public speech, he met with victims personally:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g2HB5DCqFrv5iT4gm7rzJ8EdHSrAD9045L482

I heard that on NPR yesterday. I am glad he did.

Burn

• Casper
    Casper
    And he didn't just make a public speech, he met with victims personally:

Good for him...

No, I can't see the GB ever doing such, it would be admitting JW's are not perfect....

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am glad he met with the victims survivors.... many, if not most, of whom will likely need years of counseling and therapy ..... hope he puts some money where his mouth is in order for them to have that resource....... hope the apology extends to the families who have lived with the emotional agony and tumultuous fall-out of rearing abused children, as well

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'm under the impression that the GB of the WTS would never apologize to the extent what the pope did publicly unless they were forced to by law.

The obvious reason being that that would make them look every other religion out there like Christendom.

I never got the expressive word that it was indeed the religion's polices regarding these kinds of problems to deal with them internally, was the cause of these crimes

to occur in the first place and to continue to occur as some of these priests were just simply relocated.

There was a signed and sealed edict that was approved by the then acting pope some 20 or 30 years ago that was created in the Vatican , that put forth the motion

that pedophilia crimes by priests or others in the church would be dealt with internally by administrators.

And if someone in the church was to take the problem outside of the church to legal authorities lets say they would be in hot water.

Corruption and power always seem to go hand in hand don't they !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit