I ATTENDED A JW FUNERAL YESTERDAY---WOW!

by Terry 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry
    Thanks Terry well said. I am amazed at the Brothers giving you a welcome???? They are under strict orders to show THEIR kind of love. Ignoring you so you would go back in??? that is their love

It is easy to be a brave JW who shuns--in theory.

But, when you are face to face with somebody who never did you any harm and who was among your best friends---that's another story!

The basic human decency of embracing a friend not seen after many years is more AUTHENTIC of a value than the peculiarly cold "principle" of shunning them for abstract belief differences!

I was straight up friendly and very much at ease at the funeral. I felt deeply relaxed. Why? I asked myself. Why? Why aren't I tense and worried about how I will be treated?

I finally figured it out later. It is only when you feel guilt that you tense up expecting condemnation or disapproval. When your conscience is clear---there is no basis for discomfort.

It would say more about THEM than about me if they treated me like an outcast.

Personally, it really comes down to the age group we are talking about. Think about it---my contemporaries who are still JW's have seen it all play out over time. They have witnessed FIRST HAND all the flip flops and policy changes. In their heart of hearts they know the Society isn't flawless and inerrant in their pronouncements! Younger people find it easier to be self-righteous than those who have been around the block.

That's my take on it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Terry, that must have been a surreal and bittersweet day for you.

You look awesome and should be kinder to those of us who won't age as well:) Its hard when you see old friends get. . .well, old. My recent high school reunion-there were 2 groups, well 3. Those who looked WAY awesome, those who aged very unfortunately, and those who were still recognizable and looked 'good for their age' without looking like supermodels. (I hope I'm in the 3d group!)

It is hard to go back, but sometimes, it is good to see what might have been! And to be glad that it ISN'T.

You remain my hero,

Shelly

• new light
    new light

Interesting story, Terry. What a surreal experience to see these misguided people thirty years after your breakaway. I can relate to what you said, being out four years, but 30 years...wow! What a rich day that must have been for you.

• Terry
    Terry

I've been reflecting on my Jehovah's Witness life because of the funeral and meeting with old "friends" all this week.

Being part of a group where you are accepted is often strengthening. It gives you a sense of belonging and personal value. It gives you confidence, too.

Being part of a group that has a (so-called) educational or humanitarian philosophy imbues a sense of self-worth that bolsters self-image.

Being part of a group that is superior to every other group and has absolute Truth is enough to make you drunk with a sense of destiny and power and elite confidence.

Joining up, as I did, while still a teenager; many of the pitfalls of adolescence are avoided. In my case, I got training I needed in how to be a more social person.
    1.I learned to meet strangers without fearing them. I shook hands and presented information confidently. I gave hour talks before audiences and acquired the ability to organize my thoughts impromtu.

2. I learned to work within constraints. Policy dictates, goals, rules, and interpersonal relationships became an awareness of how to operate.

3.I became an organizational entity and discovered how to submerge my own identity in a "greater" cause.

These can be positive credentials. Many teens in the 60's didn't learn to navigate within society. I count all this as a plus.

However, I can now see with the hindsight of time passing, I had a counter-balancing deficit to cope with as well.

When you are growing up and coming into your own you are also laying a foundation on which you will build your entire life.

If you choose the right friends, profession and acquire the right education you have a pretty fair shot at a long and prosperous life with the support of those of love you.

If you choose the wrong friends who will disown you and acquire a fantasy knowledge base totally disconnected with reality--you will suffer the consequences of not fitting into the real world, the practical world. At the end of your life you'll not have long history of true friendship and companions to share memories with.

I allowed myself to be cheated! I was hijacked from my future!

I bought swampland and tried to build a future on top of it. It sunk without a bubble of return on my investment of faith, belief and hard work.

The old "friends" at the funeral bought the same swamp land I originally did. They still own the deed! I threw mine in the trash as worthless and started all over again.

They cannot face their error. Inside their own heart and mind, each one is intelligent enough to know (or at least, strongly suspect) they own worthless promises. But, they don't have the time or the fortitude to start all over and declare a stop loss!

The investment is a dead loss if they quit now. They cling to a market turn which might help them get back into the "pay" column.

I, on the other hand, have moved on. I don't trail a chain and shackles like they do. I'm free. All they have is their miserable selves as they rot from within!

Day by day the average faithful JW watches the religion they cling to change brick by brick into something different and alien to what they fell in love with and embraced as total absolute Truth.

Each True policy becomes "old light" and the foolishness of their faithfulness is brought to light.

HOW GLAD I AM not to still be a part of this swamp of worthless muck!

How many days of their precious life have been spent sitting on an uncomfortable folding chair listening to the drone of stale scripture recitations? GAWD!!! I'd rather have water-boarding than the slow drowning of the Kingdom hall!!!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Very true Terry!

And many will grow old before they realise they laft it all behind in the 'licking years'.

A joke really ha ha hummmm!

Words are better left to the spaces in between!

• dawg
    dawg

Terry, you sexy bitch! You look young as hell dude, it has nothing to do with religion, I went to my class reunion 3 years ago, should have seen the fat asses! LOL!

Aleman, dude... you're kidding right? Come on man, get with the program, none of us are sad we're not a part of this lying group of fools any longer. If you're happy, then stay in... but damn man give it a rest, we're happy to be free!

• Malkiel
    Malkiel

Terry,

What you saw in these people was your interpretation.

Obviously they would have carried themselves in a solemn and saddened manner, they've just lost a close and loved member of the congregation.

Were you to have lost such a member of your family, the effect would be very visible as well.

What you did not see nor were unable to comprehend was what their hearts felt. At least not completely.

Did you (in your consideration of the event) ask yourself what will happen when you are faced with the certainty of death? I believe this was the point of the conclusion of the discourse; to reflect on our own and personal existence, and how our current decisions affect it in the long term.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This part rang true for me

You see--I think all of that indoctrination is still inside a compartment in my brain. Yesterday's attendance opened a rusty door and let in sunlight and fresh air for the first time in decades!! the MINDSET was accessible to me for the first time in ages.

I do have to hang around the dub community and attend some meetings but I keep myself out of personal contact as far as i can, but due to sickness in the extended family I have been talking to those who still say "us" as though I were one of them. I find also that it is so easy to slip into "dub mode " and find myself thinking and talking as one of them - it just seems natural when you are there, even though I know better. There must be a psychological reason for that .

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

What you saw in these people was your interpretation.

Obviously they would have carried themselves in a solemn and saddened manner, they've just lost a close and loved member of the congregation.

Were you to have lost such a member of your family, the effect would be very visible as well.

What you did not see nor were unable to comprehend was what their hearts felt. At least not completely.

Did you (in your consideration of the event) ask yourself what will happen when you are faced with the certainty of death? I believe this was the point of the conclusion of the discourse; to reflect on our own and personal existence, and how our current decisions affect it in the long term.

The non-family members seemed to be in a pretty good mood to me. I wouldn't say "light-hearted", but, certainly not solemn.

After all, JW's have all that hope, you see.

I'd say about 99% of those in attendance were non-family.

There are a great many things I'm unable to comprehend, actually. Among those things being how I wasted my youth in a cult.

Sigh.

Had I made friends, acquaintances and such in the "normal" way, I'd have carried a lifelong legacy of genuinely caring people into my later years rather than person's who judgement has been lobotomized by lock-step obedience to a conceptual anomoly.

For persons with so much wonderful hope, they truly look like they'd been rode hard and put up wet. (A Texas expression to describe overworked horses not well cared for.)

• moshe
    moshe

I have seen JW's behave with compassion and generosity towards a worldly person - when they were alone, but not in a group. I hope they come to their senses. Thanks, Terry for the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit