Being told that "Not all people will die at Armageddon"

by Robert7 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

My wife, who while still (at least partially) in, is an open thinker, agrees with me for the most part, and has made a recent observation...

She brings up with her friends how it's difficult to believe that all non-JWs, over 6 BILLION will die at Armageddon. Plus will die becuase they didn't accept some magazine. They all get into a defense mode and say "that is not true, not everyone will die".

Who are they trying to fool? You would say this to an ignorant bible study, but we hear this on stage all the time. We hear that the only road to salvation is thru the Watchtower Organization, and that all others will die. They are always very clear that most, if not all will die.

It's just weird, because even the 'spiritual' friends all have the instinctive to deny the belief. Either they personally don't believe it, or they do believe it and just don't want to sound so much like a cult. Could be cognitive dissonance...

Anyone else ever observe this?

• Gayle
    Gayle

I remember even back in the late 60s, a discussion that in the end there could be people coming into God's organization 'popping in like popcorn' and we would have to be ready to teach them. I remember liking to hear that because I always sensed there were more 'good' people out there, outside of JWs. I don't think there is even a hint like that in print by the WTS.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Yep. Many just can't admit to themselves that this is what their religion teaches.

• 5go
    5go

I have heard it all my life but the printed words say different.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Looking back, if I were asked the same question, I would have defended it too, that not all would die.

Interesting how we could believe both that all would die, and not all would die.

• RebelWife
    RebelWife

I've brought this up to my husband (who's still mentally in) several times. I make it really personal and talk about ME being zapped. I say that the printed material says everybody who's not in dies. He denies that. So then I ask him if their materials say everybody except YOUR WIFE. Splutter, splutter, leave the room. Same scenario when I've mentioned that, according to them, I'm evil. Gotta love it!

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

This is so true.

In fact I have not met one single dub yet who admits he believes tat all non-duds will die. Not one. Even if it's clearly staded several times in the litterature. A typica dub goes like this "Jehover will look at the hearts and not kill everyone..."

• Open mind
    Open mind

A middle-aged relative (I'll call them "Nut Job" for this post) was recently chatting with one of my non-baptized teens.

They were discussing a talented, famous, media star that they both admire.

NutJob: "It's too bad that XXXXXXX is going to be destroyed."

OM's teen: (Internally: "WTF"?)

My teen truly thinks this is a very sick way to view the world and told me about this conversation later. At first I was going to go off on NutJob and tell him/her to keep this kind of twisted thinking to themselves. But then I thought better of this.

My sincerest thanks to NutJob for being so candid around my children who are thinking, observing & weighing as life goes on.

OM

• real one
    real one

my question is where is that in the Bible?

• carla
    carla

This is one of the most annoying things to me!!! My jw says the same thing even after I have shown him in PRINT literally pages upon pages where the wt's and other literature has said you must be associated, belong, whatever, to have any hope of surviving the big A. A jw just gets rather glassy eyed and says 'I've never been taught that'. (we need the little emotion of the guy banging his head against the wall)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit