Long last letter to dad...please comment-not mailed yet

by dawg 64 Replies latest jw friends

• searcher
    searcher

sKally wrote

I'd also send a copy to my local newspapers EDITORIAL PAGE for the publics viewing of what this cult does to and with its children.

Personally I would send the letter to him (keeping a copy), if it is returned unopened, or you get no reply, I would then send it to his local newspaper, after all, what have you got to lose at that point?

• scotsman
    scotsman
    Personally I would send the letter to him (keeping a copy), if it is returned unopened, or you get no reply, I would then send it to his local newspaper, after all, what have you got to lose at that point?

I'd also send a copy to my local newspapers EDITORIAL PAGE for the publics viewing of what this cult does to and with its children.

This would be a major statement about Jehovah's Witnesses but it would show complete disregard for your dad. If your aim is to irrepairably hurt him, fine, but if you do love him and want him in your life it's a horrific approach. I hate disfellowsipping and shunning and the nameing and shaming that Witnesses engage in and this smacks of an equivalent.

Dawg, I really empathise with your situation but don't think sending such an accusatory letter will make your dad change or make you feel any better. Getting it sent back will frustrate you and continue the cycle. I'm pretty surprised at the vengeful nature of the advice on here. Maybe I'm a sap, but it works well for me.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Dawg, I'm with Scotsman on this one. I think you should just put this letter away for a while. Then you might try to read it as the recipiant and not the sender. Your parents have hurt you deeply. What a terrible loss to them. If you would my son I would brag you up everwhere I went. You are very intelligent, funny and talented and handsome. They are impaired in thinking and feeling. I'm so sorry how the borg can influence people to reject their wonderful child that God loaned to them.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I've read your letter and I think it drives your point home!

• dawg
    dawg

I'm sorry I took so long to reply... thank you all for what you've all said... I plan on rewriting the letter, making it less accusing and then sending it. As for the newspaper... I don't plan on doing that until my parents die.. But when they do, the day of their funeral, I plan on sending it.

• bubble
    bubble

Good luck Dawg. I think the outcome of your dad reading this letter ( if he actually reads it ), depends entirely on his attitude when reading.

If he reads with an open mind and heart, it may affect him positively.

If he reads with a closed mind and heart ( as all jw's are taught to when receiving correspondence from 'apostates' ), then it may have been a waste of your valuable time.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I can not process the concept in my mind, that an adult thinking man would let other men in suits with strange ideas come between himself and his son.

My dad would have told the suited men to go straight to hell and not come back.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

But Kurt if you've been indoctrinated your whole life...... then what.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

*sigh*

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Dawg:

Here's a wacky thought. Does your Dad have e-mail? Send him a quick one saying you were thinking of sending him a nice long letter but weren't sure what his response would be so you thought you'd poll a few friends and get their input...attach a copy of this thread - (don't know if that's a possibility!) I know if his curiosity got the better of him and he actually read through the letter and all the responses, he might start seeing two sides of the same coin and maybe a small window as to alternative viewpoints and how much he actually means to you. I know it's risky but maybe worth a try..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit