What 'Truths' Have You Learned Since You Left?

by willyloman 23 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Leaving the dubs is a journey and most of us have learned valuable things in our travels. I'm curious what new truths y'all have learned since you exited. Here is what I have learned since I walked out of the KH back in '03 and kept going:

1. There is a higher power we can access, if we choose to. He/she/it is not all powerful, but is as powerful as we let it be in our own lives.

2. There is no "true" religion; it's all interpretation and variations on a theme.

3 Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but this business of judging the behavior of others is a slippery slope and best avoided. I do not miss having to judge people.

4. Looking for the good in others leads to some disappointment but also some nice surprises and much happiness.

5. We don't know the answers to life's "big questions" and we don't need to know; we can still be happy, positive and full of love without knowing everything.

6. The "friends" I appeared to have in such abundance back in my dub days were tied to me with a very fragile string, easily broken once I questioned the party line. Thus, they really weren't friends at all; more like business partners.

7. Worldly people aren't so bad after all, for the most part, and "false religion" is actually full of some very spiritual people (and some who aren't).

8. There is life after the Watchtower; but you have to build a life, it doesn't just happen.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That it's in the eye of the beer-holder.

• megaflower
    megaflower

The WTS is full of shite

• yknot
    yknot

Faith is not always tied to "religion".

• Open mind
    Open mind

I have been humbled by how pathetically little I know about topics I thought I knew.

As a JW I knew there are always two sides to any issue.

Now I know there are usually at least half a dozen.

OM

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    2. There is no "true" religion; it's all interpretation and variations on a theme.

This could be a different truth, or it could be #2B.

The Bible can be made to agree/disagree with or say anything.

From ancient Hebrew words that could mean "unmarried woman" or "virgin"
    to the Greek meaning of "parousia" all the way to idioms and commonly understood
    statements at the time, there are several possible ways to interpret.

I would say that the Bible is not the word of God, but I don't want to get attacked
    by the believers, so I will stick with 2B above.

• Honesty
    Honesty

There is NO WAY Jesus has ever had anything to do with the Watchtower Society or the JW's.

• oompa
    oompa

That people you have loved all your life, cared for, cried for....and that in return have loved and cared for you and your family through births, sickness, deaths.....can instantly and totally shut you out because you now have a different opinion on things important to you.............oompa

This is a sad truth

• choosing life
    choosing life

That there is no us and them.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

That people in general are not evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit