ENOCH & the Watchtower Society

by Honesty 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

Genesis 5
    5 So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died.
    8 So all the days of Seth amounted to nine hundred and twelve years and he died.
    11 So all the days of E´nosh amounted to nine hundred and five years and he died.
    14 So all the days of Ke´nan amounted to nine hundred and ten years and he died.
    17 So all the days of Ma·hal´a·lel amounted to eight hundred and ninety-five years and he died.
    20 So all the days of Ja´red amounted to nine hundred and sixty-two years and he died.

23 So all the days of E´noch amounted to three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And E´noch kept walking with the [true] God. Then he was no more, for God took him. 27 So all the days of Me·thu´se·lah amounted to nine hundred and sixty-nine years and he died.
    31 So all the days of La´mech amounted to seven hundred and seventy-seven years and he died.

Genesis says that they all died... except for Enoch.

All of Enoch's ancestry lived to be over 900.

Jarad, Enoch's father lived 962 years of age and Methuselah, Enoch's son lived to be 969 years old.

The Watchtower Society's theology sez:

INSIGHT ON THE SCRIPTURES

PAGE 729

Enoch

Enoch was one of the "so great a cloud of witnesses" who were outstanding examples of faith in ancient times. "Enoch kept walking with the true God." (Ge 5:18, 21-24; Heb 11:5; 12:1) As a prophet of Jehovah, he foretold God’s coming with His holy myriads to execute judgment against the ungodly. (Jude 14, 15) Likely persecution was brought against him because of his prophesying. However, God did not permit the opposers to kill Enoch. Instead, Jehovah "took him," that is, cut short his life at the age of 365, an age far below that of most of his contemporaries. Enoch was "transferred so as not to see death," which may mean that God put him in a prophetic trance and then terminated Enoch’s life while he was in the trance so that he did not experience the pangs of death. (Ge 5:24; Heb 11:5, 13) However, he was not taken to heaven, in view of Jesus’ clear statement at John 3:13. It appears that, as in the case of Moses’ body, Jehovah disposed of Enoch’s body, for "he was nowhere to be found."—De 34:5, 6; Jude 9.

So God euthanized him after only 365 years of age?

It does not make sense that Enoch's father and son are the two oldest living people on earth and that Enoch lived 600 years LESS than they did!

What enemies would Enoch have to cause him pain?

Do you realize that when Enoch was born, Adam was only 618 years old!

Adam died when Enoch was 312 years old?

Seth, the first man the WTBTS says is qualified to be resurrected, was still living at the age of 853 when Enoch was taken up!

Who were Enoch's enemies that wanted to cause him pain?!?!?

And of course...

Hebrews 11:5
    5 By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God.

This has to be explained away by the cult because it cannot fit within the Watchtower's theology....

"However, he was not taken to heaven, in view of Jesus’ clear statement at John 3:13. It appears that, as in the case of Moses’ body, Jehovah disposed of Enoch’s body, for "he was nowhere to be found."—

The bible explicitly states Moses DIED, but in Enoch's case "God TOOK him"...

Genesis 5:23-24
    23 So all the days of E´noch amounted to three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And E´noch kept walking with the [true] God. Then he was no more, for God took him.

Deuteronomy 34:5-6
    5 After that Moses the servant of Jehovah died there in the land of Mo´ab at the order of Jehovah. 6 And he proceeded to bury him in the valley in the land of Mo´ab in front of Beth-pe´or, and nobody has come to know his grave down to this day. 7 And Moses was a hundred and twenty years old at his death. His eye had not grown dim, and his vital strength had not fled.

Enoch did not see death.

Either the bible is wrong in this issue, or the Watchtower's theology is.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That was one of the first things I talked about with my study conductor.

He insisted that Enoch died, but could not produce Biblical evidence that it was so.

I showed him all the begats and deaths, and pointed out something was different with Enoch being taken but no mention of death like the other guys and asked why was that.

Then I said that "you said the WT is based on the Bible, if so, how can they teach that Enoch died when the Bible does not say that?"

And so it began.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

So... according to the WTBTS - God committed murder? ... and got away with it?

Regards,

Jim TX

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

According to the JWs Enoch was a righteous man, and other violent people wanted to kill him. To prevent this from happening God killed Enoch himself.

W

• sinis
    sinis

Genesis 5
    5 So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died.
    8 So all the days of Seth amounted to nine hundred and twelve years and he died.
    11 So all the days of E´nosh amounted to nine hundred and five years and he died.
    14 So all the days of Ke´nan amounted to nine hundred and ten years and he died.
    17 So all the days of Ma·hal´a·lel amounted to eight hundred and ninety-five years and he died.
    20 So all the days of Ja´red amounted to nine hundred and sixty-two years and he died.
    23 So all the days of E´noch amounted to three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And E´noch kept walking with the [true] God. Then he was no more, for God took him. 27 So all the days of Me·thu´se·lah amounted to nine hundred and sixty-nine years and he died.
    31 So all the days of La´mech amounted to seven hundred and seventy-seven years and he died.

I have read some articles that indicate that the idea of YEAR should have actually been LUNAR YEARS (Jewish Calendar) comprised of 12 MONTHS EACH. Therefore those are not years at all but lunar MONTHS -

Genesis 5
    5 So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died. - 930/12 = 77.5 years 8 So all the days of Seth amounted to nine hundred and twelve years and he died. - 912/12 = 76 years
    11 So all the days of E´nosh amounted to nine hundred and five years and he died. - 905/12 = 75.41 years 14 So all the days of Ke´nan amounted to nine hundred and ten years and he died. - 910/12 = 75.83 years
    17 So all the days of Ma·hal´a·lel amounted to eight hundred and ninety-five years and he died. - 895/12 = 74.58 years20 So all the days of Ja´red amounted to nine hundred and sixty-two years and he died. - 962/12 = 80.16 years
    23 So all the days of E´noch amounted to three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And E´noch kept walking with the [true] God. Then he was no more, for God took him. -365/12 = 30.41 years27 So all the days of Me·thu´se·lah amounted to nine hundred and sixty-nine years and he died. - 969/12 = 80.75 years
    31 So all the days of La´mech amounted to seven hundred and seventy-seven years and he died. - 677/12 = 56.41 years

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Interesting

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

sinis,

It would be hard to miss the point any more, since the unusual "lifespan" of Enoch precisely points to the exact duration of the solar year (365 days), which is a key feature of Enochian Judaism (1 Enoch, Jubilees). God "taking" Enoch at the completion of this "perfect" cycle not only allows for, but probably points to the early development of this tradition to which the heavenly role of Enoch is central.

• oompa
    oompa
    Jim-TX: So... according to the WTBTS - God committed murder? ... and got away with it?

Only hundreds of thousands of times in the OT....................oompa

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Damn, now I feel less original, I was setting up my tough questions for Jehovah's Witnesses and had this down as number 11. My question is basically if the soul cannot be separated from the body at death, and the heavenly hope was not available to humans until after Jesus died, and also no human body can enter into heaven what exactly happened to Enoch?

• dinah
    dinah

According to the legend, Enoch was taken because he was too good to live here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit