Missed college when you were younger? Here's a good solution!

by Awakened at Gilead 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

At my age I didn't want to spend the next 4-10 years going to college classes after work. I have mentioned this in a few popsts but wanted to share this on a new thread so that everyone can find out how easy and cheap it can be to go to college.

I am studying online with CUNY (City University of NY). Tuition is $2165 per semester if you take 4 or more classes. (I am taking 6 this semester to finish up and graduate on June 10th.)

The beauty of this program is that they allow you to test out of many subjects using CLEP exams. I think many xJWs should be able to do pretty well on many of these exams and each exam you pass ($65 for a 90 minute exam) gives you 3 college credits. I took 25 exams, which saved me from over 2 1/2 years of college.

If you want to check it out:

CLEP testing: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

CUNY online: http://www1.cuny.edu/online/

Working full-time I have been able to do the whole thing in a little over a year. Now that I don't go to meetings or service, I have even more time to study.

Don't mope that you never went to college... check it out!!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

This sounds great. I'm so glad you are doing something to get ahead after the cult. I started college at age 30 and had to re-do high school in the beginning. I'm finally graduating in May and will be in a Masters program in the fall for two years. It will take all together 11 years to finish if I don't go for a Ph.D. What are you studying and doing with your degree? This is just wonderful!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Awesome - thanks for the info and congrats to you!!!

• alamb
    alamb

Wow. This sounds wonderful. I'm going to check it out. I turned down a full scholarship to pioneer.....wish someone would have hit me in the head.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Starting my college education was the best thing I have ever done. I started late, like you did. Only I chose to attend class. It was great. I was recommended and received a full ride scholarship designed for older students. It has been a great experience that I would never trade for all the wealth in the world.

• Quentin
    Quentin

College is one of the best things an ex-jw can do...sadly, for me, never finished...but I wouldn't trade the two years I did go for anything....

In this day of the "information age" there are so many ways to get a degree. I encourage everyone to get that "evil" higher education...can't go wrong doing so...

• avishai
    avishai

Sweet!! Thank you!

• carla
    carla

Most colleges accept some of the Clep exams, they each seem to have a certain amount allowed. A huge savings in dollars too!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Thanks for the info! I'm going to comment on this thread to help bump it up because I think it's important.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is a good solution. There is the Phoenix University that has been advertised on this forum from time to time, and a whole search engine full of them. I like that you can take the exams to get college credit to make up for some of the credits you missed because of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

However, nothing substitutes for going to college at the proper time. You are more likely to get scholarships if you go after high school, cutting into your bills later. Plus, it traditionally marks the transition from living with parents to being totally independent. Many witlesses miss out on that, instead staying at home with parents well into their 30s or later to help cut back on expenses. It also helps them to have more to put in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund and time for field circus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit