Can any of you remember having your Diary read or phone conversations taped

by restrangled 29 Replies latest members private

• Layla33
    Layla33

Oh do not get me started, my mother read my diary so many times and notes from friends, I don't know what made her start doing it, but I was about 11 and 12 when she did it. We used to really battle about that. I had to pull my grandmother into it. (Of course she backed up her favorite grandchild.) I promised myself when I had children I would never violate their privacy like that.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

There was no privacy in our house. My mother went through everything. She even opened the use sanitary pads to make sure they were actually used, sick, sick, sick sick! My dad didn't tape phone calls he just listened in, sometimes we knew and sometimes we didn't. We couldn't even close our bedroom doors. I would put my underwear on in the bathroom very quickly because you never knew when the door would go flying open. Don't even think about locking it. It's really a shame when you can't even take a $h!t in private.

I'm a very private person now, if I even think anyone is going through my things I go nuts!

• nelly136
    nelly136

a phone in my room? lol nah that would never have been allowed. had to use the one in the front room downstairs,and had to have permission to use it. using it without permission would not have been worth the hassle. (bills scrutinised)

when i got a bit older and bit more daring i did have a period where i had a friend who'd call me from london their parent would moan about their bill being one way, so soon as my mother stepped out the room to do something i'd ring them back and we'd carry on chatting mother would sit drinking her tea oblivious, only lasted till the whopper bill came in and a bigger whopping to match lol. (fun while it lasted tho)

privacy was something i was brought up to respect but definately not to expect in return.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I can't believe everyone seems to have the same experience. It's just like any totalitarian regime when people will snitch on their own family members to the authorities just to get a pat on the head and maybe a special privilege or two.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I can see that what I went thru, so did everyone else. Notes and letters weren't just read by my parents, but also turned over to the elders!!

All conversations on the phone were listened to!!

When I babysat for others in town, my parents would constantly come over, or call.

Sick, sick, sick................

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

restrangled... oohhhh boy. You've hit a tender spot. more news at 11.

• dinah
    dinah

I hear that, CrazyBlonde! It was a note that was turned in by my best friend's parents that got me df'd. I never even got to read it.

Good Lord, it looks like all had the same "Mother".

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Looks like I was fortunate in this dept. If my parents did snoop I never knew about it. My problem was my younger brother. When I was not home he would find my letters from boys I met at assemblies and read all of them then repeat portions verbatim back to me in front of my parents. I don't think he ever got in trouble about it. As I recall they thought it a bit humorous.

Guess he did the deed for them.

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

My mom would unplug the phone and take it with her when she left me home alone.I always wondered what I was supposed to do if there was an emergency!

• Casper
    Casper

Good Lord...!!! These stories leave me speechless....

I've endured a lot in my childhood, but never experienced anything remotely of this nature. So glad I did not grow up a witness kid...

My heart goes out to all of you....

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit