Can any of you remember having your Diary read or phone conversations taped

by restrangled 29 Replies latest members private

• avishai
    avishai

Met a girl at an assembly. Called her afterwards, typical innocent 16 yr. old conversation, my grandma was on the other line, convinced my mom I was saying unspeakable things, immoral etc., so mom beat the crap outta me. Which sucks, 'cuz my grandma used to do the same thing to my mom, spy on her and lie to my grandad. My family, pretty much all of 'em on both sides have been big on "surveillance".

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    My mom would unplug the phone and take it with her when she left me home alone.I always wondered what I was supposed to do if there was an emergency!

Incubus: we had one of the old rotary type phones. One day my dad got mad I was about 15 because I was talking to a boy on the phone and he took all the phones except that one out and put a lock on it. If you didn't have the key you couldn't dial out. He left the phone in case of emergency, WTF? How would we dial out if the damn lock was on it? Was 911 supposed to know to call the house to see if everything was ok?

Crazy, sick parents!

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

In retrospect its a huge glaring sign of abuse!Thats why mom was born to be a dub.Control is "safe".Madness.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I can't believe we all went through the same thing! I wonder if there was some universal talk given that instructed parents to behave in such a way.

I too had younger brothers who were at all times to keep my parents posted as to what I was doing and/or saying. When they got older, we just all covered for each other.

I swear, this taught us all to be pros at leading double lives.

Thanks for all your input.....it really shows the mind control in this religion.

r.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I remember being stood in front of my parents many times for the latest bit of evidence they had found in my room against me. My room was searched regularly. I had no right to privacy as I was repeatedly told it was not really my house. I always had access to a phone in case of emergency, that's just sick.

The difference was that it was kept in the family because I was not raised in the borg. I can't imagine involving strangers in the intimate matters of growing up. I left at 18 to live at college and I still cherish my freedom.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I just remembered something that happened when I was about 15. I accidentely left myself logged in to a hotmail account which I used to talk to worldly people... people from the internet, school etc. Anyways my sister went to get into her hotmail and she saw that mine was left logged in. As a good little dub, she of course went and tattled to my parents... they read dozens of the e-mails, then called me into the room, humiliated me by reading all sorts of private snippets of conversations. They then changed the password so that I wouldn't be able to get back into the account.

I was so pissed I slept on a bench in the park that night. When I got home next morning they asked me if I had a good sleep and that was that.

• dinah
    dinah

Doom,

Now I feel like a dinasaur. When I was 15, we were still using pens and paper. You can't password protect that!

When I was in the 8th grade our school got its first computer. Of course none of the teachers had a clue how to operate the damn thing. Don't think Al Gore had invented the internet yet.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

My parents never "violated" my rights cause I behaved and did what I was expected to do growing up. I am sure if they had suspicions about my activities they would have invaded my "privacy" if the felt they needed to.

I ask a lot of questions and pay attention to my kids. I catch them trying to pull stuff from time to time. They are learning that they just need to do what is expected and fess up instead of lying or sneaking. I will find out what they are up to.

Until you are 18 and I can get sued for what you do... well your privacy is conditional and your rights are what I give you.

Sorry... it's part of that responibility thing.

I am very sorry that some of you all had crazed parents. Some folks never trust anyone ... and some people never earn trust. This is all a 2 way street.

Hill

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    When I was 15, we were still using pens and paper. You can't password protect that!

What I did was to code everything. While my parents were not witlesses, they were mean spirited and would try to use anything to undermine my success at a social life. They did try to go through it while I was in college (and in 4 years, they never managed to crack the code). No locks or passwords needed--just a gift in coding things.

• Open mind
    Open mind

JWD is the closest I've ever come to keeping a diary. And of course, I'm somewhat guarded here as well.

That is a little mental reward I'm saving for the day I leave the JWs.

OM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit