We are fiction(s).

by Narkissos 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This is the truth.

Hidden in plain sight.

Know thyself.

We were made in the image of God after all.

Not only fiction, but also fiction. Biology and fiction.

Not basically a "bad" thing to repent from. An essential anthropological truth to face.

We can change our fiction to an extent but we can't escape it.

A friend told me that Jacques Derrida used to ask people he met: "What is your novel about?"

Not exactly a new idea, but one that has seldom been taken seriously so far, and might change a lot of things, from education to politics, when it is. Because I think it will.

Discuss. Or don't.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am torn. I want to write my novel, but I just don't know if I can stick to fiction.
    Maybe I will tell my story in novel-form. Then it can be a hidden truth in a totally
    fictional setting- like the Bible.

• flipper
    flipper

I am fact, nice to meet you, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We can change our fiction to an extent but we can't escape it.

I guess it is our perception, our framework. Our philosphy of life.

Everyone has one.

Might as well have a good one.

I am legend.

Burn

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I always thought maybe we are a "reality show" for other species!!!!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I am a figment of my own imagination. Therefore I am fiction, or am I a fact?? No, I am a legend in my own mind, or is it in my own time?

NMG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My ex often said I should write about my life. I don't want to, as I might inadvertently encourage people to engage in things I no longer condone.

Sometimes I wish it was all fiction. Then I wouldn't be living with the consequences now.

W

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Is this the opposite of solipsism?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

We are trapped in our own texts ... but when we read the words one by one we can try to "understand" what the novel is about and, above all, why .

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Narkissos - Vous avez bien raison. Comme Derrida l'a dit: "Il n'y pas de hors-texte." Le probleme, c'est - comment traduire cette phrase en anglais? On dit souvent: "There is nothing outside the text. Ou bien, est-ce qu'on ferait bien de se servir de la traduction de Spivik, qui dit - "There is no outside-the-text"? In any case, I think Derrida was correct in his analysis. Our "reality" is composed almost entirely of narratives - of stories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit