Witness owns Flower Shop-advertises-sells birthday-holiday arrangements

by Thechickennest 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I have been away from the organization long enough not to know how this family is allowed to sell and profit from selling Birthday and Holiday gifts. As far as I am aware they are active JW's. They do a lot of advertising on the internet specifically for all the Holidays and Birthdays that JW's are not supposed to be involved in to the best of my knowledge. These people were close friends of mine at one time years ago. I have been tempted to stop by the flower shop for a visit and conversation about this. I don't fault them however, I am quite puzzeled about this. Any thoughts?

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Oh, this one is too easy.

It is quite simple: They are freakin hypocrites!!!!

Regards,

Wing Commander

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings and welcome, thechickennest:

I have no idea what's happening currently; however, a JW restaurant owner was reproved some years ago for serving food at a Christmas Faire.

Reproach on God and the congregation ...

I suppose.

CoCo

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They are profiting from selling stuff that WTS says to avoid. They make it pretty clear
    that a Dub should not work in a field that primarily promotes the holidays and stuff that
    WTS disapproves of. The way around that is to say that it is not the primary part of the
    job.

A florist could make that claim, but WTS would say that the OWNER of the flower shop
    could control that. I am sure they apply the same loophole, even though it is made weaker
    by the fact that they own the place. Still, could a florist make it if they didn't cater to
    birthdays and the like?

I salute such independent-minded JW's for daring to continue doing what is obviously not
    so bad instead of giving in to the trivial concerns of "stumbling others."

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

This is definitly a no-no. I'm guessing that they are related to the PO, so they get a free pass.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I suspect that they are allowed this on the condition that a certain percentage of the profits ends up in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. And it will continue until the hounder-hounder gets word of it, at which point they are in for a severe ripping.

• undercover
    undercover

I would think that the prohibition of shop owners selling tobacco products would apply in principle in a case like this.

Selling flowers for anyone who wants them for that occasion wouldn't be wrong, but to advertise that you have flowers for these "pagan" occasions would be just as wrong as selling tobacco.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Another turning of the blind eye, don't you just love double standards.Another reason I fled the Borganisation.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

There must be a "twisted" scripture around that "allows" them to do this!

Quirky1

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sometimes it depends on your prestige in the congregation as to "What you can get away with."

hope4others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit