Catholic Church will make huge announcement about child abuse situation

by Octarine Prince 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

PS, Yes, it would make a great difference if the Watchtower followed the example of the Roman Catholic Church in my eyes.

Be humble. Apologize. Take responsibility. Change.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

According to the following link there are some 46,000 priests in the U.S., which means that the pedophile problem is under 7%. It has an interesting observation about the Protestant clergy. I think they have yet to address their own problem.

I also think that Snap is performing an invaluable work, by keeping the problem to the forefront. Although the Catholic Chuch has done a lot of cleaning up, there is still a lot left to be done. Snap may never be fully appeased, but at least an effort should be made to that end.

http://www.allaboutreligion.org/catholic-priests.htm

They are holding their feet to the fire. I think the Catholic Church is going to do the right thing, but keep it burning. Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

So now the question I have is what is the percentage of pedophilia in the US period? I mean is 7% a large percentage compared to the general population?

Obviously, pedophiles are going to go where they can to have access to children. So religions are always going to attract pedophiles. I know for a fact that just to work even as a volunteer in any capacity now in a Catholic Parish you have to go through fingerprinting. The same as working in the public school system, where pedophiles had harbored in the past. So steps are being taken.

I absolutely agree pedophile priests and those who protected them should be prosecuted by the law, as well as any clergy in any religion.

But I like to keep things in perspective. And I think the only thing SNAP will be happy with is closing down the RCC, which isn't going to happen. Any adult victim who remains Catholic is discredited by them. They are fanatics. They lose credibility by their fanaticism. IMO.

My brother just dropped out of seminary.

To get in there were more background checks, psych profiles, and tests than you could imagine. They've tightened up.
    But I like to keep things in perspective. And I think the only thing SNAP will be happy with is closing down the RCC, which isn't going to happen. Any adult victim who remains Catholic is discredited by them. They are fanatics. They lose credibility by their fanaticism. IMO.

I get that from their site also. Burn

• inkling
    inkling
    Obviously, pedophiles are going to go where they can to have access to children. So religions are always going to attract pedophiles.

Though this may be true, is it also possible that a facet of the misplaced
    sexual interest is actually fostered by the repressive environment of the
    seminary training?

I once had a RV that was a ex-catholic priest. He chose to leave, and
    I have no reason to think he was a pedophile, but I did get a vibe that
    was gay... Anyway, he said that he was being groomed for priesthood from
    a very young age, (right during the critical blooming of normal sexuality)
    and yet the educational environment of catholic schools and later seminary
    basically tried to pretend that sexuality didn't exist.

Combine this willful ignoring of sex with a male-only environment of
    lifetime repressed older priests, and a cycle of sexual predation
    repeats itself for generations.

That was his take on the matter, anyone more knowledgable on seminary?

[inkling]

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Inkling, it's hard to base a whole theory on one man's experience. I'm not discrediting his viewpoint, but I'm sure others have had different experiences.

I went to Catholic schools my entire life. Sex was not a taboo subject in our household and the nuns did try to "groom" all four of us girls into convents (none of us went). The pastor tried to groom my two brothers and my cousin to go into the seminary. We all utilized our free wills and none of us chose the religious path. In fact, out of the entire Parochial school that we went through all those years, I know of no one who chose that path and we were all exposed to the same "grooming."

And out of all the priests and nuns and bishops that went in and out of our house all those years and all the opportunities, none of us kids were molested. I had a different experience altogether.

So, it's a matter of choice and pre-disposition. Perhaps your acquaintance was gay and a lot of gays are repressed anyway (closeted gays, anyway)????

Just my thoughts.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

Clerical sexual deviancy allegations have been made against a variety of religious groups including but not exclusively Roman Catholic priests, monks, and nuns. An estimated0.2% of Roman Catholic priests have been proven to be abusers.[1] Philip Jenkins, Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis (Oxford University Press, 2001). ISBN 0-19-514597-6

The John Jay Report, [2] commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, found accusations against 4,392 priests in the USA, equalling about 4% of all U.S. priests between 1950 and 2002. Figures supplied by the Catholic League promote the view that abuse statistics in the Catholic Church are similar to abuse in other institutions such as the preliminary estimate of education abuse statistics compiled by the U. S. Department of Education. [3] [4] [5]

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

Clerical sexual deviancy allegations have been made against a variety of religious groups including but not exclusively Roman Catholic priests, monks, and nuns. An estimated 0.2% of Roman Catholic priests have been proven to be abusers. [1] Philip Jenkins, Pedophiles and Priests: Anatomy of a Contemporary Crisis (Oxford University Press, 2001). ISBN 0-19-514597-6

The John Jay Report , [2] commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops , found accusations against 4,392 priests in the USA, equalling about 4% of all U.S. priests between 1950 and 2002. Figures supplied by the Catholic League promote the view that abuse statistics in the Catholic Church are similar to abuse in other institutions such as the preliminary estimate of education abuse statistics compiled by the U. S. Department of Education. [3] [4] [5]

As someone that will probably become a Catholic next year, I would really like to believe this. However, I opine that some took vows of celibacy to avoid coming to grips with their homosexuality. As escapism. I believe that the repression, after a time, led some of these into sexual pathologies.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit