Faders

by Awakened at Gilead 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

You are right. Unfortunately most of us have family at stake.

I would love to know how many others there are out there like you and me.

Some day someone will come up with an ingenious way for us to "go public" without identifying ourselves.

• Casper
    Casper

Welcome to the board, Awakened ....

I too am a fader, it's been 10 years now. We all look forward to your story.

Cas

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Welcome.

There are a few Ex-JWs that meet on a regular basis in NYC. Check out the meet up group NYC Ex-Jehovah's Witness Friendship Group:

http://exjw.meetup.com/333/

I hope to meet you soon.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Daniel,

I can't say either that I have balls of extraordinary size either (Neither did the 10 spies)... but maybe I have nothing to lose. While I have not realized that this is not the truth I have in a sense been fading away for a few years (ever since I lost all my privileges a few years ago), and found it tough to make friends in the KH when you feel like you've been marked. Actually, there was a local needs dealing with my situation about a year ago, which seemed very much like a marking talk. So I actually have very little to lose and much to gain if I am DA'd or DF'd, as I am well known in some theocratic circles due to my history, yet have no real friends to brag about, that I would lose...

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Perhaps you could share: was it something in missionary life that caused you to "awaken" ?

Ozzie,

Thanks for asking about what awakened me.. It was actually in Gilead, not necessarily missionary service (which was fun). At Gilead you go through the whole Bible, verse by verse, and review the history of the org. As I did this, something clicked, and I began to feel (though I suppressed the feelings, since I knew that this was the truth). I remember telling my wife after we left missionary service, that I felt that Gilead had weakened my faith instead of strengthening it. There was a strong focus on prophetic parallels in Gilead, much of it based on weird stuff, like Elijah and Elisha crossing the Jordan, and representing older anointed and newer anointed... this didn't seem Biblical to me. Almost every book in the Hebrew Scriptures was analyzed and had its main fulfilment in 1919. I had imagined that going through the Bible we were going to focus on the practical lessons, but rather it seemed to be an overwhelming effort to make every single prophecy fit into the 1919 mold, as well as the relationship between the anointyed and other sheep. I also had time to consider what Christendom taught about certain points, such as John 10:16, which actually made much more sense than the Society's contrivance of the other sheep.

It took me a few years to put 2 and 2 together, but here I am....

AaG

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Awakened, it sounds like Gilead is more of a big brainwashing than anything else. It sounds like they really try to make you into a "company man," so that anything you see in the Holy Scriptures cannot be seperated from their crackpot 1914-1919 fulfillments. Their emphasis on parallel fulfillments was one of the first things that I noticed was distasteful to me.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Yeah, I'll have to make some time to put it all together and post a thread like "What's wrong with Gilead" or something like that.

AaG

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Please do so, we eat that stuff up here!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Welcome Awakened at Gilead.........I think we here at JWD are going to enjoy your presence and input.

NMG

• Lieu
    Lieu

I am late to this party but I also wanted to say welcome to you AAG. Gilead sounds much like Pioneer school, just longer. Had some very good friends who were missionaries (an older couple) when I lived abroad. IMO JWs abroad, particularly in 3rd world countries, are a world apart from those in the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit