You might be a JW if...

by Seven 54 Replies latest social humour

• waiting
    waiting

Hey larc,

You might be a young witness in good standing if you have never heard of the importance of: the Nepolionic Wars, the Great Pryamid, or Beth Sarim.

I've been a jw for 30 years. Until 6 months ago, I had never heard of Beth Sarim. When I first came on web - couldn't figure out what xjw's were talking about.

Now I do - I was not impressed with my religious organization. To deed property over to dead ancients for when they're resurrected strains common sense, don't you think?

waiting

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I love the truth in your sarchastic humour.

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

A bit of history that you won't find in a JW history book.

My mother's aunt, Berta Peel, divorced her husband to live at Bethel working as Rutherford's "nuitritionist" (is this a full time job?) She traveled with him to Beth Serim in the winters, and was at his side when he died. She lived at Beth Serim for several years after that until it was sold.

The JW history book states that Ruthorford's wife lived in California instead of Bethel because of poor health. This may or may not be true, but she never lived at Beth Serim and Rutheford did not live with her when he was in California.

You might be a JW if you really think that JW's are as pesky as "a plague of locusts."

LARC

• larc
    larc

It was a tough job for Rutheford to spend his winters in San Diego, but someone had to do it until the "ancient worthies" arrived on the scene.

LARC

• larc
    larc

Regarding old clothes and charity

You might be a JW pioneer if you don't give your old clothes to anybody, because that's all you have to wear.

• waiting
    waiting

Well, larc,

You are full of fascinating tidbits of jw information, now aren't you? I was one of those "dumdubs." However, in the congregation, I was dubbed "one of those stiff necked women"

Soooo, your aunt, Berta Peel, served Rutherford at Beth Sarim? Berta Peel at Beth Sarim...... are you putting me on?

I have heard that Rutherford & his wife didn't get along (have even heard that they divorced). Russell's wife divorced him. Perhaps this is the burden that the Only Channel of God must bear? Lonely at the top, eh?

May I asked you're background in the org? I would suspect a long one?

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 10 December 2000 23:20:7

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

I am not putting you on. I have a copy of the divorce papers filed by Berta's husband that were sent to Bethel. I have met my aunt Berta when she visited the family in Akron, Ohio. Her two sisters were the one's that studied with my mother. My older cousin visited Berta at Beth Sarim after Rutherford died. This was after my cousin got out of the Army in World War Two. I was only 4 at the time. He told me about the visit years later.

Mention of Mrs. Peel is found in the Olin Moyle trial transcripts which is published in its entirity. Olin Moyle was a JW attorney who left Bethel and sued the Society when they gave him a hard time.

Berta was born in North Carolina, and can best be described as a beautiful Southern Belle. After leaving Beth Sarim, she pioneered in the San Diego area until she died. She said she was of the annointed, although her two sisters were not even though they came into the religion in the 1930's.

Docuementation provided upon request.

This may not belong in the humor section, but's true.

LARC

• larc
    larc

Waiting

I didn't want to get so heavy, but everything I wrote is true. Everyone in my family knows this, including my sister who is still in and my two cousins who are out.

To quote Mark Twain "writing this is about as much fun as sawing wood, but someone has to do it." (from his book about the Christian Science religion)

soooo let's get back to the humor

You might be going too far with prayer if:

you pray for armegddon every morning

you and your spouse pray before making love

your twenty minute prayer at the Kingdom Hall summarizes the one hour talk that you just heard

Til the end of time-LARC

• larc
    larc

Waiting

Regarding your statement about deeding over to the ancients straining common sense.

Nothing strains common sense when you are a true beleiver. For over ten years, in the late 40's and early 50's the WT did not write about this. Even so, there were JW's who believed that the ancients would appear at the 1958 world assembly in New York City.

One of these was Betty Harrison, I remember her and paid close attention to her words because I had a crush on her daughter Karen.

Been there, done that, remember most of it.

Another hysterical, I mean historical tidbit from your old Uncle LARC

• larc
    larc

I am new to the internet in general and this site in particular.

What is a dumbub?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit