Do you have a Narcissist Jw in your life?

by tika 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• tika
    tika

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by :

Believing that you are better than others Being envious of others or believing others are envious of you

Fantasizing about power, success and attractivenesss Trouble keeping healthy relationships

Exaggerating your achievements or talents Setting unrealistic goals

Expecting comstant praise and admiration Being easily hurt and rejected

Believing that you're special Havinging a fragile self esteem

Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional

Expecting full compliance from others with your ideas and plans

Taking advantage of others

Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior

• calico
    calico

You just described my father!

• tika
    tika

I have found many intersting sites and support groups on NPD in the past week. Knowing that the disorder my MIL has a name and face and researching how to deal with the types of emotional (and other) abuse these people are capable of is IMO the first step in getting my marriage back on track! I hope this info will be helpful.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome, Tika.

The horrible answer is yes... yes I did indeed have a Narcissistic Personality Disorder Jehovah's Witness in my life. She died a year ago but the affer-effects of the emotional poison she inflicted onto my family will live on. I too, found some GREAT sites on the subject while I was dealing with it and trying to make sense of it all... it seems the greatest problem is that they have no empathy, and lacking empathy, there really is NO WAY for them to appreciate you or understand you... that is a losing battle, they are incapapble, emotionally handicapped, one might say.

A great indepth discussion of traits is linked below... I have just quoted it here and there, it really is worth clicking the link and reading the entire article.
    http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/traits.html

Here are a few quotes from the site:

Almost everyone has some narcissistic traits, but being conceited, argumentative, or selfish sometimes (or even all the time) doesn't amount to a personality disorder. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a long-term pattern of abnormal thinking, feeling, and behavior in many different situations. The traits on this page will seem peculiar or disturbing when someone acts this way -- i.e., you will know that something is not right, and contact with narcissists may make you feel bad about yourself. It's not unusual for narcissists to be outstanding in their field of work. But these are the successful people who have a history of alienating colleagues, co-workers, employees, students, clients, and customers -- people go away mad or sad after close contact with narcissists.

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves . They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without even stopping to take a breath. It can be trivial (e.g., about what they want for lunch) or it can be serious (e.g., about whether or not they love you).

If you're like me, you get into disputes with narcissists over their casual dishonesty and cruelty to other people. Trying to reform narcissists by reasoning with them or by appealing to their better nature is about as effective as spitting in the ocean. What you see is what you get: they have no better nature. The fundamental problem here is that narcissists lack empathy.
    Lacking empathy is a profound disturbance to the narcissist's thinking (cognition) and feeling (affectivity). Even when very intelligent, narcissists can't reason well.

Narcissists lack a mature conscience and seem to be restrained only by fear of being punished or of damaging their reputations.

Narcissists are envious and competitive in ways that are hard to understand.

Narcissists are generally contemptuous of others.

Narcissists are (a) extremely sensitive to personal criticism and (b) extremely critical of other people .

Narcissists are naive and vulnerable, pathetic really, no matter how arrogant and forceful their words or demeanor.

Narcissists are grandiose . They live in an artificial self invented from fantasies of absolute or perfect power, genius, beauty, etc.

Narcissists have little sense of humor . They don't get jokes, not even the funny papers or simple riddles, and they don't make jokes, except for sarcastic cracks and the lamest puns. This is because, lacking empathy, they don't get the context and affect of words or actions, and jokes, humor, comedy depend entirely on context and affect. They specialize in sarcasm about others and mistake it for wit, but, in my experience, narcissists are entirely incapable of irony -- thus, I've been chagrinned more than once to discover that something I'd taken as an intentional pose or humorous put-on was, in fact, something the narcissist was totally serious about.

Narcissists hate to live alone . Their inner resources are skimpy, static, and sterile, nothing interesting or attractive going on in their hearts and minds, so they don't want to be stuck with themselves. All they have inside is the image of perfection that, being mere mortals like the rest of us, they will inevitably fall short of attaining.

• tika
    tika

Thank you for the info Baba, I will be checking it out. I am so baffled by this person who has been my MIL for 7 yrs... and she just keeps getting worse the older she gets.

• dh
    dh

That's me, minus the JW part, narcissus ain't got shit on me.

• Casper
    Casper

Welcome Tika...

I don't have any JWs in my life but, you have just described my 2 adult step-daughters to a T...!! It can be really frustrating dealing with people who think the whole world revolves around them and only them.

I wish you the best in dealing with it...keep searching... Knowledge is power.

Cas

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I seriously challenge the concept of narcissism!

In fact I am yet to meet anyone I could attribute such a pressumptuous all encompassing set of negatives to!

And I feel whoever set in 'academic' Moses tablets such a list of preordained commands has created a monstrosity of self fulfilling prophecies in having some humans apply the 'persona' to the treatment of individuals they suspect of fulfilling its criteria based on a few peripheral ambiguous observations which appear synonymous with the definitions it proposes!

I see similar behaviours as evidence of polar opposite personas!! Linked more to rapid self esteem depletion in sudden situations, and empaths who become redundant for themselves and others they feel the pain of not being able to asist due to their inner weakness and fragmentations!

I am no expert! Maybe some noticed already?

I have no proffessional experience!

I say what I say based on intimate observations and misrepresentations and complex misunderstandings; I frequently see, am the victim of, have misapplied to others and observe the cumulative network scenarios of in people forming opinions about each others characters in ways rarely reflecting their 'inner core'!

My belief - for the present !

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

R.Crusoe... may I just say that you are LUCKY... you just said yourself that you have yet to meet meet anyone you could attribute such a presumptuous all-encompassing set of negatives to... well... they exist. Consider yourself not only blessed, but educated and forewarned, should one appear in your future.

Cheers,
    Baba.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

BabaYaga -

I'm sure ones whom some would brand narcisistic are all around me!

What I refuse to do is accept they are rotten to every sinew as the description suggests or in fact that in some more than one or two aspects apply - which may be for all manner of reasons and not due to the intent of their inner self!

I have greater belief in the idea they have been conditioned with a complex judging persona which would likely take much undoing! I fail to accept nature gave birth to their form as it presents itself - if you catch my drift!

This forum is far too limited for my thoughts on this - I would need lengthy interactive conversation to explore my perceptions!

I have hardly even given good excuse for what I say and the network or my understanding would take too long to represent itself to you!

I have problems with much pschology speak as I do with JW Bible speak! They both use guide books to put people in boxes!! Some permanent ones!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit