Pentecostals? Should I be afraid of them?

by ThomasCovenant 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Just finished watching the film 'Borat'. In it there is a scene where he attends what I assume is a Pentecostal church meeting. For all I know it is a setup. I hope so.

If not, then I am afraid. Is that really what takes place at Pentecostal meetings?

If it is, then I've never seen such a bunch of weirdos in my whole life.

I thought that Islamic fundamentalism was dangerous but I fear that if that is how some people in authority behave whilst attending church then the scene in the film 'The Dead Zone' with Martin Sheen as a President on a mission from above to desroy the earth is not as far fetched as I thought.

I am speaking as one who has never witnessed a Pentecostal church service and I realize that they are not all on drugs but something is not right about it.

I think that the JW's are brainwashed (including myself whilst in) but the Pentecostals, as portrayed in the film 'Borat' beat them hands down.

(In my opinion)

Am I being paranoid?

Thanks

Thomas covenant

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I've never seen Borat - how does the clip compare to a real, live Pentecostal meeting?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNoTGZApcI&feature=related

I felt quite sad watching the above footage - there were people there who looked desperate for *something* - experience of the Holy Spirit - their faces, even though they look happy, their faces are full of sadness - and yes its an ideal setting for hysteria - people so desperate to prove to themselves and/or others that they are *really* in the Spirit that they'll do anything

And with the mass hysteria comes the brainwashing and manipulation, they'll believe anything, just to feel that they are truly part of the group...

That said, I don't believe that all Pentecostals - individuals or churches - are exactly the same, some are very genuine and remain in touch with their own thoughts and emotions during these services!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I am going to recommend doing deeper research on the religion before joining. This group is about experiencing the same spirit as the Christians did during Pentecost, hence the name. This means mysticism, since Pentecost was actually a one-time event and does not happen today.

If you do go, be on the watch for those acts of mysticism. Anything that promises some special event, miracle, or holy spirit upon doing a certain act is almost certainly mysticism. Even if the crowd gets worked up, there is a good chance that it is as fake as the witlesses' happiness. And, if they start handing you those copperhead snakes, I would be cautious since they will bite if provoked (however, in nature they will leave you alone if given the chance). Not that a bite is serious, but they can hurt quite badly.

As with any religion, I recommend research before commitment.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I know several "Pennycostals" as it is pronounced down here. Yes, that is a fair depiction of their gatherings. The only reason I fear them is because drinking alcohol is forbidden!

momz

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

When I was about 9 years old I went to a Pentecostal church with my best friend (before my mom became a jw). Keep in my mind we lived in a very rural area, and there were just a few houses near the church. Anyway, I was frightened beyond words when people started crying and talking in tongues and some were even rolling around and convulsing on the floor. The preacher called all the children up to the alter. Another man came up behind each one of us and started talking in tongues in our ears. By then, I was absolutely petrified and started to cry. The man put his hands on the back of my shoulders and started screaming about this child being slayed with the Holy Spirit. I turned and ran out of that church as fast as my fat little legs would carry me. I went to one of the neighbor's houses and called my mom to come and get me. I hid in the woods until I saw her car pull up. The jw's don't act like that, but at least the Pentecostals don't destroy families. I wouldn't recommend taking small children to one of those churches. It could be frightening to them.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Borat is a mockumentary. He should be flushed down the toilet, head first. The acting out that pentles (pentacostals) do can be offputting. But, i don't think that they are dangerous. In my 2 yr period w them in various churches, i found them to be mainly positive. It's not all fake, either.

S

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have never seen Borat (and never will either). That being said, the term "Pentecostal" applies to Christians that believe in the perpetuity of the sign gifts. The countering view is cessationism, which holds that the sign gifts ceased at either the close of the New Testament canon or with the death of the last apostle. Pentecostals believe that, what they call "the baptism of the Holy Spirit," is evidenced by the recipient of said baptism speaking in "tongues." Some of the more established denominations that hold this view are The Church of the Foursquare Gospel, The Assemblies of God, The Church of God, and The Church of God in Christ (the latter two being traditionally composed of African-American believers). Their is a more conservative view called Charismatic, which believes in the perpetuity of the gifts, but do not neccessarily hold to the baptism of the Holy Spirit being evidenced by the speaking of tongues. I attended a church that is loosely affiliated with the Assemblies of God. They are Pentecostal, I am not Pentecostal, rather I am more Charismatic.

In this area there is an agreement to disagree within the body of the universal church. I would suggest that, as with any church you speak with the pastor, visit the church numerous times, and pray about this before making a commitment to join the church.

In anser to your question, no, you do not have a reason to be "paranoid." You have many Watchtower presuppositions in your mind, and you need to work past them in order to fully enjoy the benefits of a Spirit led life.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It's the playing with venomous snakes and drinking various toxic liquids that would bother me. But it would be a hell of alot more exciting then the public talk and watchtower study for sure.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I dated a Penecostal guy for about a year right after I left the JW religion. Imagine being raised as a JW and a Penecostal church is the first place you go?

I am not one to judge people's path, but at 18 I was pretty scared. I watched a big man, almost 400 pounds jump up and down for exactly 10 minutes and then proceed to fall on a piano and break it.

I watched a girl next to me say over and over I believe something like "Gugga mugga oompa lumpa" over over then do a break dance spin on the floor and then jump up jump for about thirty seconds and then fall back in her chair dripping in sweat. Then the pastor did a moonslide down the church aisle and the next thing I know, everyone was either jumping up and down, clapping and crying and shaking their heads.

The good part? My boyfriend and my best friend's boyfriend were also best friends, so she went to their church with me. Well, my best girl friend had never been to a church before either having been raised an atheist, so she and I were the only ones in there that was sitting there like the roof of the place had blown off. When the pastor moonslide over to us to have him put his hand behind our head and speak in tongue and bring out the holy ghost, we respectfully said, "no, thank you". Then he danced his way back to the platform and kept screaming "some of you all don't hear me tonight, some of you all don't want the spirit working in you tonight..."

It was probably the most memorable scene I had seen in my life up to that point. My best girlfriend and I went to the bathroom and laughed till we cried.

I wasn't afraid, nor should anyone else, but the energy in that room was very strange to me. I couldn't reconcile it, so I knew it wasn't for me.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

"Democracy is different in America. For example: Women can vote. Horses cannot." - Borat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit