Planning a much needed vacation... I like the looks of this!

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest social family

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Two more things about Jenny Wiley State Park, it is located near Loretta Lynn's birthplace and you can tour her cabin in Butcher Holler. Also in Prestonsburg is the Mountain Arts Center, simply referred to as the "MAC". They hold concerts there regularly, mostly country, but sometimes other music.

Prestonsburg is located on US Hwy 23, known as the country music highway. Every county from the Ohio River, all the way down to Virginia had a famous country music star born there.

If you like Chinese food, I know a good restaurant to recommend there also.

Hey if you do go there, there would be one more bonus, I would be tempted to drive up there for a meetup. I'm always looking for an excuse to go visit my old stomping grounds.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Also you have the largest Elk Herds east of the Rockies located near both Jenny Wiley and Buckhorn parks.

If you like 4 wheeling/off roading, then Eastern Ky can't be beat.

Keep watching this thread as I have some more ideas I will post later, but for now I must get some sleep.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx JG - you have helped point me in the right direction. I am still torn between Jenny Wiley and Buckhorn. Those two were on the top three of my list.

Jeff

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You're welcome, now i will point out the differences between those 2.

Both of those parks have alot of beauty, lots of hills and mountains. The main difference between the 2 is that Buckhorn Lake is more isolated than Jenny Wiley. Buckhorn is approximately 25 miles from town, Jenny Wiley sits right near the city limits. There is nothing out in Buckhorn, just the lake, no points of interest, no other restaurants, barely even a gas station. Buckhorn Lake does have a beach area, Jenny Wiley does not, but there are decent places to swim at Jenny Wiley too.

There are 2 other choices I will mention to you, one isnt a state park.

The first is Natural Bridge State Park, it has a slight "touristy" feel to it as there are a couple of Go-Kart tracks, a couple of roadside souvenir shops, and a reptile zoo. There is also a chairlift that takes you to the top of the mountain. Natural Bridge is located next to the Red River Gorge area. In order to see the Red River Gorge you will get to drive through an abandonded railroad tunnel. Also a few years ago they had a small buffalo herd there, but not sure if it is still there.

My last suggestion is Breaks Interstate park. The park is not a Ky state park as it sits on the Virginia/Ky line. The park itself sits on top of the mountain with many scenic overlooks. They have a lodge with either a small lake or a swimming pool, can't remember which. There is also whitewater rafting. This section of KY and VA is known as the Grand Canyon of the south. Nearby is Elkhorn City, the birthplace of country singer Patty Loveless. In Elkhorn City there is a railroad museum that sits next to the main tracks.

My suggestion is to go to either the Breaks Park or Jenny Wiley. You will still have the opportunity to see Natural Bridge park as you will pass right by it on the highway anyway.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Also if you like I could call you this weekend and help you more with your choices.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Update

Thanx Dave for all the help in making the final decision.

This is the lodge we have settled on:

Buckhorn Lake state park.

Here is the view from the area overlooking the pool. This picture sold me. I want to just sit there for a while and melt into the scenery.

We have not had a vacation in several years - since about late 90's I think. So it is about time.

Thanx all for your help, and thoughts on this. If anyone is in the area of this park during the second week of June, let me know.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It looks like a wonderful place to destress, relax, forget yourself, find yourself,
    watch grass grow, sip your favorite beverage, observe the sun and birds and
    any flora and fauna.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Looks like Fun!

Can I come??? Please, Please, Please??

Ok, then I'll babysit.

Cheers!

Hope4others

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

UPDATE:

Headed out in the early morning. The kids are nearly manic with excitement.

See you all in a week.

Jeff

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Have a wonderful, restful, well deserved vacation Jeff and family. HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit