Planning a much needed vacation... I like the looks of this!

by AK - Jeff 24 Replies latest social family

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://parks.ky.gov/default.htm

These resorts look wonderful. I am looking for a place where the Grandmunchkins can swim safely, teeter-totter, and hike, and where Wifey and I can enjoy fresh mountain scenery and air.

Since taking on the children, almost 4 years ago now, we have only had 3 or 4 days away from them. And nothing close to a real get away. This vacation won't get us away from them [and I don't mean that in a bad way - just a break from the daily grind], but it will get us all some needed change of scenery.

Anyone been to any of these KY parks who could comment on them - good or bad? Or other suggestions? We are thinking of going mid-June for a week or so. These lodges are pretty reasonable in price and we could just land and enjoy without going much of anywhere.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't know much about state parks in Kentucky. You can check out the caves. Kids love
    that. The biggest is Mammoth Cave at the National Park: http://www.mammothcave.com/

I have also visited some of the caves here: http://www.kentuckycaves.org/
    Lost
    River Cave is kinda neat.

Kentucky Caverns has a whole thing for kids (Kentucky Down Under), I never checked it out,
    but it sounds cool: http://www.kycaverns.com/

I also always wanted to go to the Land Between the Lakes. But my wife is not really a camper.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ditto on the camping per se, OTWO. I don't mind it myself, but Wifey feels like she works harder than she does at home. Plus sleeping on the ground, avoiding bears and skunks, doesn't appeal much. We don't have an RV, so I think camping is out.

I might do a local campout later this year with the kids - but we could do that within a few miles of the house.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Basic (clean) motels are good too. I use tripadvisor.com (hotels.com works too) before I book
    a place. I search for it and see if anyone says it's a bad place. Read carefully, as some people
    are just too picky. They think for $38 a nite, they should get a bellboy and the world's softest
    towels.

I recently had to book one night, but tripadvisor posters said "DO NOT STAY THERE UNLESS THERE
    ARE NO COTS AT THE AIRPORT." That's the red flag that made me spend $20 extra and wound up
    at a fantastic suite.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Basic (clean) motels are good too.

A few nights in Motel 6 is not too bad if it is a clean unit, or the like. I have considered that as an option. If it is in the correct area I may do that and spend the money on daytime activity.

Jeff

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Jeff...

I love the Land Between the Lakes area of Kentucky...it is beautiful and there is lots to do... make sure you go to Patti's...just ask anyone down there about it...huge merengue pies (6-8" high), huge pork chops..(we are talking 2" thick chops)

Its only about 4 hours away for me...I need to get back down there...

Here is the home page for the area: Land Between the Lakes June events are not yet posted....

Snakes ()

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx Snakes and OTWO. That is two mentions of the area - I will check it out.

Jeff

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I haven't been on a real vacation since 1997. One day, I will have another.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Jeff, I have been to the state parks in Eastern Kentucky, what would you like to know? I would personally recommend Jenny Wiley State park in Prestonsburg. Not only do you have the hills and mountains, but you also have the lake, and nearby is a scenic mountain top golf course. During the summer they have an outdoor play about the life of Jenny Wiley, who was captured by the indians.

Buckhorn Lake State park is also scenic, but doesn't have as much to offer as Jenny Wiley.

I have also been to Pine Mountain State Park, but there is no lake there that I remember, and if there is it is probably small.

Kingdom Come State park is high on a mountain and is referred to as Ky's black bear capital.

• oompa
    oompa
    AK: Anyone been to any of these KY parks who could comment on them

I did not even know they had them! But I bet they are full of kinky sex, and mainly for well lubed singles..................oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit