Ready... Steady... COOK!!

by Sad emo 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Ok, here's my current ingredients:

Minced beef, carrots, onions, leeks, turnip/swede, potatoes (just ordinary ones, not the sweet variety), button mushrooms.

I want to do something other than shove it all in a pan and boil it up! Anybody got any creative recipe ideas for me to try out?

Only two other things: a) the less complicated and time consuming the better b) you can suggest additional ingredients such as tomatoes, herbs, spices etc.

emo waits in eager anticipation

• Gadget
    Gadget

Looks like a cottage pie to me! I got a good recipe from the bbc website a few months back that I can heartily recommend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cottagepiewithleeks_85908.shtml

Paul

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oooh I like that programme.

okay let's fry up the onions till they nice and brown (add salt , pepper & garlic) Add some tomatoes if you like - must be fried up till they soft - add your mince and if you have some rosemarry a sprig of that and perhaps a lil more salt to taste.

Boil potatoes & leeks - make mash, but don't forget to add a dollop of butter and some milk - mix till smoothish

Next - peel & slice carrots and turnip - par boil then put on a roasting tray, rub a lil olive oil ova so the don't stick, salt and pepper to taste & sprinkle some sugar - then grill till soft.

Make your plate up: Mash, savory mice with sweet grilled carrots & turnips. ta daaaa

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Ooh thank you Paul and Lou! They both sound good for me to try out. I'm heading into town soon so I'll get the extras I need while I'm there. I have enough ingredients to do both

Grilled carrots and turnip - I never even heard of that being tried before!

I was never really taught how to cook when I was young and now, well my attempts are just so uninspiring that I'd just rather not even bother eating at all (which is not good as I have anorexic tendencies). I'm even less motivated at the moment so you're being a huge help to me here

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hmmm, I would take the the onions, mushrooms and leeks and saute them in a wee bit of butter, adding salt, pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, (hey, I like my garlic) , set aside.

Take two pieces of bacon and cook till crisp in an unoiled frying pan, keep the oil ( the bacon fat adds alot of flavor to the minced beef) and throw out ( or eat) the bacon, then add your minced beef. Fry until brown, adding salt and pepper, add your mushroom, onion and leek saute in and 1/2 a cup of red wine, cook until liquid reduces by half. Add just a touch of double cream to emulsify.

Take your potatoes, and turnip and slice thinly, so they almost look like potato chips or crisps as you would call them, and julliane the carrots (that means, cut them to look like matchsticks, very thin and small) .

Preheat oven to 325 F, hmm not sure how hot that would be on a brit range. Maybe someone could help out with that.

Layer one layer of potato, turnip and carrots, then the minced mix in the bottom of a cassorole dish and repeat until you are left with several layers. Cover the top with your choice of cheese, if you wish and then cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes and then remove the foil, turn on the broiler (top element only in stove) just until the top of the dish begins to bubble and turn golden brown.

Ta da, done. It might take a little longer prep time, but the result is yummy and its great for leftovers!! Just cut into squares and package for lunch the next day.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

ooops I forgot the mushroom - you can toss em in the mince or lightly boil, drain add sum onions and cream - ddddelish.

Sad emo - now cooking truly is something I love doing - ... for other people. I love. When I'm up in london - I'll drop you a PM and invite you over for dinner. I'll be in london, then machester (doesn't Ian live in Manchester) then we can have our own lil get together - I'll cook. Curry for Ian - will chase any virus outta his system!!! But only coming in .......351 days. bring your appitite

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Menu

Beef Patties

Leek and Potato Mash

Mushroom Sauce

Steamed Carrots seasoned with Thyme

Add 1 slice of stale bread soaked in milk and drained to your mince as well as an egg, salt and pepper to taste. Chop the onoin as fine as possible and add to beef mixture. Shape into patties (meat balls).

Boil the leeks and potoates till tender. Mash with a bit of milk and butter, salt to taste.

Fry mushrooms and add to basic white sauce. (add a bit of white wine to the sauce YUM!)

Steam carrots toss in a bit of olive oil and season with salt and thyme.

This was fun!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm with Gadget. Sounds like a cottage pie to me. Here, we would call it a pot pie.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

I support this thread!

(This is the best I can do for now.)

CoCo

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Add a couple of cups of med. salsa,

one can of chedder cheese soup

grate some cheese on top and bake it.

-Something quick and easy-