I went into a Christian book store today!

by Hope4Others 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Edited to add: This whole experience, clicked to fast and it entered.

They had this sale on cool coffee mugs and I just said damit I'm going in. A jw lives just a few houses down.

I might of worried before but today I just didn't care. I might pick up some other bibles for cross references. Why does it

always happen though when you decide to do something you run into someone who is related to your inlaw? Wonder if

she will say "I saw your sisiter-inlaw at the Christian book store isn't she a jw ? Wonder how that will be explained? Haven't seen the inside since late 90's.

hope4others

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Do tell, Hope, how was it? Did you buy anything? -Potential

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Yes I bought husband a coffee mug ceramic and stainless steel inside, with the words "believe" on the outside, and this rubber snap on bracelet that says

"Survivor For Christ" I don't no what possessed me? I'm going back tomorrow for a few items.

hope4others

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I think the whole idea is its just a total "Rebellious thing to do" far and away from Wt land.

hope4others

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I often visited Christian Bookstores when I was a JW back in the 1970s and 1980s and never got in trouble with the elders. In fact there were several from our congregation that bought books and Bibles from Christian Bookstores and nobody was counseled. Of course I left the JWs in 1984 and haven't kept up with the latest Watchtower rules and regulations. Have the rules changed? Are Christian Bookstores now forbidden to the JWs?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

No they are not forbidden, It was just a thought that since I have not been to any type of meetings since late 90's perhaps

if someone saw me in there, they might "Assume" I was going to some other church. You no the Jw mentality towards anything

a little off.

hope4others

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Maybe it might not be frowned upon to visit such a place but would most active witnesses be afraid to visit a Christian bookstore? After all - there's all that apostate material in there! Would it be classed as a dangerous place to go as regards temptation?

Good for you in overcoming the 'obstacle' Hope

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    there's all that apostate material in there

Well actually I was browsing around looking to see if there was any books by x-jw's, often at some of the churches here they have x-jws giving a discourse

on jw cult life and why I left. I may go to one for the ( H_ ll ) of it some time.

hope4others

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, there is a rule against it. It is an unwritten one (so don't bother asking for proof of where it is, since they carefully make these unwritten rules to prevent anyone from finding said proof). If you go into a Christian store, they presume that you are interested in looking at other religions from an independent viewpoint, which is strictly forbidden. And, if you buy anything, it is "supporting Babylon the Great", and the items could "stumble" others. Of course, if you buy a Bible from a Christian bookstore, you could be in trouble for having some independent source for verifying the accuracy of the New World Translation.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

wtwizzard

Of course, if you buy a Bible from a Christian bookstore, you could be in trouble for having some independent source for verifying the accuracy of the New World Translation.

That being true, I have bought 2 bibles in the past from a christion outlet, a KJ version, and a Living bible which I use to use in the Fs when I pioneered. I found

that no one would question it especially when I would say I bought this bible at.... and continue on. People really do get there sh/t in a knot with the nwt.

I have really learned why in the past few years.

hope4others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit