Do you enjoy listening to music from another generation?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Some people only like recent music, maybe because they don't want to identify themselves to an older generation.

Often, I'll listen and download music that played when I was a kid, and really enjoy it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't download new music, cuz i don't want to identify w this generation;) Just kidding, what i download can be new or centuries old.

S

• oompa
    oompa

Generally for fairly brief periods of time, but yes, swing, big band, old jazz and torch, every decade since 30's and even some classical....but have not played any of my old WT vinyl in decades....................oompa

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oooh I love all sorts of music from other generations.

Big band stuff - frank sinatra - got to love ol' blue eyes.

Elvis preseley - king of Rock an roll baby

Soultrain stuffs are good.

Give me any good tunes to listen too - just not country.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I enjoy the music from about the mid 1960s to the present. And that includes rap where every other word is a swear word, and there are lots of gunshots in the music.

I also like having plenty of Christmas music on hand at the click of a mouse.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I love the 50's 60's music the most, the 70's wasn't too bad either. I hate the music now, at least that rap stuff, so I guess I am getting to an age where I am not adjusting to the younger generation or something. I love classical music which is ageless it seems but don't like opera. YES and Christmas music, I love it.

Where any of you restricted as to what music you listened to when you were growing up as a JW. My Mother thought only Kingdom songs,classical and Opera were theocratic. I was not allowed to listen to things like Elvis or Frankie Avalon, Frank Sinatra, etc etc. That was devil music to her. So now I just love that music. I had to listen to Opera all the time. She was a trained Opera singer and a music teacher. When you think of it, Opera music was often about tragic things such as suicide, murder and illicit affairs, so why was that ok but not Love me Tender like songs??

• hotspur
    hotspur

I mainly ONLY enjoy music from other generations! I do like some modern stuff but I used to play in a symphony orchestra (much to the elders disgust) so I guess I aged before my time!

On the basis of that - the older the better for me.... but I do a have liking, too, for the big-band Glenn Miller type era. My kids always thought they get it out of me through training and drip feeding "good" music .... guess we both failed!

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

There's no expiration date on good music. I'll listen to anything, if it's good. I don't care when it was made. I've had so many friends that used to go through my records and CDs and making fun of my collection because it had so much "old" stuff in there. Then, I'd turn the tables on them and point out to them how many "new" songs were just rip-offs of old songs. If the "new" artists are listening to the old stuff to get "new" material, what's wrong with going straight to the source and hearing it yourself? I don't mind listening to old stuff if it sounds good and I don't mind saying that the latest "flavor of the week" artist sucks if they do indeed suck.

• ninja
    ninja

not really.....if I want to know what a really old song sounds like ....I'll ask Awake and watching........ninja runs for the hills

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I love music. All kinds, no matter the genre or time frame. If I like it, I LIKE IT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit