When you went out in field service

by megaflower 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

I hated it. I had myself talked into loving it for Jehovah's sake....but I really hated it.

It was such fake righteousness.

The one good thing that came out of it were a few really funny / strange experiences.

Once, I started talking with an older woman at the door, and her husband was listening from beyond my view. She said something, and he yelled at her that she didn't know what she was talking about. She yelled back at him to shut up and leave her alone. Before I knew it they were having an all out fist fight in the doorway. So much for bringing a message of peace. I just quietly excused myself, but as I walked down the street I could hear them from 1/2 a block away.

Then there were always the women who would come to the door on a Saturday morning, barely dressed, with see through lingerie, and then pretend to be all embarrassed, trying to cover their breasts. I would always think to myself, "why did you open the door?"

• TopHat
    TopHat

Going out in field service was akin to a flogging once a week. Nothing I looked forward to or wanted. I hated waking up householders who were sleeping.

• Johnna
    Johnna

I really hated the knocking on doors part, always hoped no one would answer so I could leave an outdated magazine under their mat and count it on my service report. But the Shakey's Pizza Buffett afterwards for lunch was the best!! Hanging out in service with the friends was fun too, since those were the only friends we were allowed to have and associate with.

• mavie
    mavie

1. 75% of the time

2. Middle of the month

3. Every time

4. Just tired in general.

• The Rapster
    The Rapster

For me, it was on the job training for what came later, a life in global marketing strategy. Even as a child I knew this was organizational charting at it's finest.

As I lived and played in Beverly Hills, the only challenge for me was speaking with people who already lived in "paradise". I mean, when speaking with Charlton Heston (R.I.P./ this week) or Rik Springfield, Frank Sinatra, Shelley Winters, Carol Burnett, Jerry Buss, and many, many others, how on earth do you have this conversation about a perfect future, when the present is pretty darn good? I can't tell you how many times I would cross little water features leading to the giant doorways of homes only to look down and see $20,000 koi fish darting about. And here I am selling a dream?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit