When you went out in field service

by megaflower 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• chickpea
    chickpea

for nearly 10 years, friday morning meeting for field service was in my home ( as was the thurs night book study).... i hated fridays..... i rarely went out with the friday group.... likely the most boring and uninspiring lot since regis philbin and latest bimbette

i usually was able to go out with a group on wednesday.... i had two really fun people to go out with, a reg and an aux pioneer..... but it was still a struggle, talking myself into the " just get it over with" mindset....

i was usually more relieved than exhausted.... and for the life of me i dont understand why i never fudged a single hour!!! crikey, i never even fudged placements.... and there were months of zeroes for that column

we would do after meeting FS sundays with the kids, cos it was easier since they were already dressed and usually it was one hour and then a nice lunch..... maybe once in a great while we would do a saturday if it was some honking tract campaign ( we also had saturday FS mtg at our home..... except for the once a month entire congregation mtg at the hall )

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

I pioneered for a little over for about 2 1/2 years on both sides of my short Bethel service.

I had 3 years total of full time service.

I hated going from door to door as did my pioneer partners. We had been working the same
    territories since we were kids. We basically knew 1/2 the people in the neighborhoods
    where we were calling. We would argue over who had to go to certain houses.

I did enjoy Bible Studies. I had studies with some very kind people who were in very
    bad situations. I had a study with an 80 year old woman who I became close friends with.
    She was very kind. Once she went to visit her sister and brought me back some well water
    because I had told her how much I loved the taste of it. I got to enjoy that for
    several weeks over the hot summer of 1980. I also studied with a man who had cerebral
    palsy. It was very difficult. I studied with an elderly woman who was very relieved that
    her husband was not in hell, because she didn't think he had led a very good life.

The list goes on. I had a lot of Bible studies in those 2 years. 3 of which got baptized
    and 1 of whom is now studying with my father 20 years later.

• LogosHealer
    LogosHealer

How often did you have to talk yourself into going out? --I was forced into going out. But when I did, I told myself, that the elders won't bother me for a while, now that I went out for the week. How often did you wait till the end of the month to get some time in? -Almost always. But, well, the next question answers this one. How often did you fudge your time? --ALL THE TIME. AFter a while, I just stopped going out in Field Service and I would lie about my report. I have being lying about everything on my service report for 2 and 1/2 years. And I felt no remorse. Talk about screwing up their figures. lol. After you finished your day in service (or hour) you felt emotionally exhausted? - I felt cranky and pissed off.

• crapola
    crapola

I never liked field service ever. Always had to make myself go and ALWAYS hoped no one was home when it was my turn. It was the most nerve racking thing I've ever had to do. I guess part of the reason it was so hard was because even way back I did'nt truly believe what I was out there telling the people. Oh maybe a few times I thought I believed it but deep down I know I didn't.So, I haven't been out in service in about 4 years and the only thing I miss is------------- could'nt think of anything.

• still_in74
    still_in74

I never like service, even when I Aux. pioneered. I always hated it - just sometimes more than others.

when I was a teenager I dreamt of doing anything other than being there.

Now, if I get suckered into going it makes me ill. It cant end soon enough! When I see people look at me I realize they think I really believe this shit. If they only knew.

I fake my 2 hours every month.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

it was boring, boring, boring, so boring. Did I say it was boring? Stab yourself in your own eyes with your own keys boring. Throw yourself off someone's porch hoping to land on a fence post boring. And I tried to pioneer.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I absolutely hated it!! I pretty much had to pioneer so I was very resentful of the whole thing. The only remedy was to work with someone fun or someone I really liked and then it became somewhat bareable. I just prayed for my partner to have a long call so that I could just listen and waste time.

I didn't fudge my time too much, but when working with people from other congregations, we would go to RV's in each others territories and that would eat up a lot of time. Or I would go to an RV that was way in the country who I knew would probably not be home in order to waste time.

I was extremely drained after I went out. And then I had to go to a meeting or personal study after. No break ever.

It was awful and I don't miss it for anything!

MMO

• jonathan adabe
    jonathan adabe

A Jehovah's Witness lady called at my home; she was known to me. After a friendly chat I asked her "Why do you do this work?" "It keeps the elders happy." she replied. I wonder how many are doing this work for 'love of neighbour' or just to please the elders? All the previous posts suggest an uneasy feeling for the door-to-door ministry.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they tell you that you hate field circus because you don't do enough of it. I hated it when I did 20-something hours a month just as much as I hated it when I did only one hour, but at least one hour goes by. Doing 20 or more hours means being out there much more, and hating it as much.

As I have seen from this thread, pioneers (who are out there all the time) hate it as much as the low hour publishers, per hour. I have observed it myself, that the pioneers would make excuses to run errands, were terribly disorganized, and everyone was sluggish in leaving in the morning. Typically, they would go to the nearest Wilson Farms, Sugar Creek, or Seven-11 (Starbucks was not common when I was in the cancer like it is these days).

• megaflower
    megaflower

Excellent posts to all. Thank you for your imput. It seeems we all feel pretty much the same about f. svc-could not stand it. My big question to myself is, why did I stick around for so many years (20)? The only viable ansewer I have come up with is fear. They would say you will be destroyed and so will your children if the end comes and you are not faithful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit