Don't bother recycling ... God will fix the earth

by 10p 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 10p
    10p

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20031122a/article_03.htm Just browsing the site for kicks, and this annoyed me. Typical JW attitude - with the readership they supposedly have, they could have made a real difference ... encouraged all JW's to recycle, buy carefully etc. But NO - they leave the problem in God's hands. imagine we all did this (although it seems George Bush has the same philosophy). And they lay the blame on 'humans' as if they somehow aren't human. Oh wait, they aren't! haha!

• White Dove
    White Dove

That's why I say that prayer (talk) is cheap. It gets absolutely nothing done!

• TopHat
    TopHat

Doesn't Revelation say, God will destroy those who pollute the Earth?

• brinjen
    brinjen

I do re-call getting lectured by a certain elder after I once said I use a certain environmentally friendly brand of house cleaners. My way of thinking at the time was it was me showing respect for the earth, in turn showing respect for god. I was told we must 'leave it to jehoba'.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Yup and I could never get my head around why they dont quit all pollutants if its so against gods will since they tell you to quit using blood to save your life!!

You'd think using mules to getr around would be their thing but hey - the message is worth polluting the Earth with gods understanding but blood isnt!

This kind of circular reeasoning is vomit!

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Doesn't Revelation say, God will destroy those who pollute the Earth?

Those who destroy the earth, yes.

JWs preach that since God will fix earth 'imminently', 'very soon', they feel that things like philanthropy is a waste of time, time that should be spent preaching that the end is imminent. If philanthropy is a waste of time because it can never be done to perfection and eliminate the causes of the problems, and because Jehovah will fix it all soon, then the same can be said for many other things one could do to improve our living conditions and the environment. JWs think they are exempt from being "destroyers of earth" (that's just everyone else, of course) among other reasons because they are few, but that doesn't mean they're not adding to the total pollution of earth. They're in the same boat as everyone else, and should of course carry their weight when it comes to environmentalism and philanthropic endeavors. Other religions don't seem to have this problem, probably because - although they believe God will make a 'new heaven and earth' - they don't profess to know when it will happen, or even if it will happen any time soon.
  • R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

True Awakened and neither do others profess singularly to be chosen of god for special privelages above all life on planet Earth!

JWs have some excellent ideas for a better Earth which is why I went with the schpiel!

But when someone finds it does not click with their inner self - shunning, making them feel like satan food and ripping family away is effluent!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Like recycling all those old magazines that did not get placed, think of the wasted paper!

I saw a recent video on corporations and recycling it was such an I opener to the waste. It mentions that over 70% of the stuff we buy ends up

in the trash within 6-8 months.

hope4others

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Well 10p, although the Borg doesn't explicitly ask everyone to start recycling, they did not have a problem with doing it now:

The truth is that while most people are concerned about the environment, many think nothing of throwing trash on the ground, dumping garbage in a river, or leaving lights turned on when they are not being used. Such acts may seem like small things, but if each of the billions of individuals on earth were careful about how he treated the earth, it could make a difference. Such things as being conservative in the use of energy, cooperating with recycling programs, and disposing of trash properly make a contribution toward preserving the environment. By our habits we can demonstrate our care for the earth now.

I don't know if they've encouraged people to recycle, but at least by this article, they aren't advocating a flippant attitude toward the planet.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

In all fairness to the Borg (which I absolutely despise) I don't think they have ever espoused the view (often seen in other fundie religions) that they could pollute shamelessly and leave things in Jehovah's hands.

On the other hand, I don't think they ever did enough to affirmatively promote conservation and recycling. I have been a life long birder (including the time I was growing up and in the Borg) and I can remember being lectured by the elders about the futility of belonging to conservation groups "in this system of things," and that I should trust in Jehovah to solve the environmental problems. I was also counseled that belonging to conservation groups could be spiritually dangerous because they usually are politically active.

What a crock!!!

The numbers of people who believe that we can do whatever we want to the earth, because god is watching over everything, is downright terrifying. This is the only planet we've got and we are doing an absolutely horrible job of caring for it.

Americans are at the forefront of the disrespect. We have 3 to 4 % of the earth's population and we consume 30 to 40 % of the resources (>60% of the energy resources). We live in a greedy, consumerist society that is never, ever satisfied. It is always MORE, MORE, MORE....BIGGER, BIGGER, BIGGER...NEVER ENOUGH.

Well, guess what? That can't go on forever. We are at a breaking point on this planet. Either we deal with our excesses or nature will. When "MOM" plays the last hand it is not going to be pretty.

Sorry for the mini-rant...sometimes I just get started,

Alex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit